Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not always about grade. I mean I want the best teacher that I cant get. But personality means alot. my Sensei wears a white belt and a white Hakama. He says that grade does not matter.

I guess that the higher the grade the more modest and experienced the Sensei. So one goes hand in hand with the other

Train well

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people tend to confuse kindness with weakness. My Sensei is a very friendly person and not at all strict but is not a pushover. Any Sensei should not be weak but for example a really hard sensei could really push a hard student but could crush a softer student, whereas the kinder sensei can still tell the person what to do without breaking any student. If you want a class only of the hardest then it is a good idea to have a real hard * sensei, but if you just want to teach stude3nts the art of martial arts then you can be more peaceful and kinder to them.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of grade, some people get it, others don't. Althogh grade matters, it doesn't matter quite so much as that unique ability to teach, something that not everyone has.

El Guerrero Loco
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good sensei should be a high rank, a progressive thinker(is more worried about a techniques real practicality than how it looks)
I'm not sure if i'd want a young or old sensei
a.Young-they can realte to me and see thigns pretty much from my point of view
b. Old-wise in techniques
I juss really want someone to teach me that certain style of fighting and i suppose i can worry bout the practicality

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that not everybody has the ability to teach. In order to own and be a cheif instructor I think that you should be at least a Black belt. However in my school where I study there are some very good teachers that are not of the black belt rank. Everybody eventually teaches in my style. From Green belt and UP. You know if the person is a good teacher by the fact if the individial is even looks like they have learned something. When I teach I try my best to keep things fun and strict. That is a hard thing to do. I do get it done however. I have respect and loyalty in the dojo Im at because of the way I teach. So in order to have a good sensai I think that you should have been teaching already before you even became a black belt. I still hold to my opinion that a cheif instructor of a dojo should be at least a black belt.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just met the head Sensei for my federation in the pub after a training session. A great guy, you just know about people. Say for example you have 2 6th Dan's which one is better the miserable one of the one that makes you laugh. Although having the abilities is important. Being a nice person really helps.

Be Well

KenpoChick87120
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one instructor who is 20 and another who is at least 40. The 20 year old is cool, and realy nice, and he knows his stuff. The 40ish guy is awesome as well, and has alot of experience. I agree that some people just arent meant to teach, people like me. I don't know if its a skill you develop or if its somthing you just have, but for the time being I make a better student then an instructor

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the qualities that make a great sensei is the ability to inspire and motivate. My sensei show this everyday, and his name is Ray Nichols.

shaolinprincess
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He/She has this great Energy about him/her. She/he always makes you feel at home and calm.

Bratt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these qualities would make up a good Sensei, although there are many types of Senseis, who are, in their own way, good ones.
Personnaly i would love to train with a Sensei who is patient, listens to his/her students, someone who explains clearly the subject being taught but also gives students the chance to try and guess the answer to question and who doesn't put their student down if he/she gives the wrong answer. Also, a Sensei who is strict to a certain point, yet fun and pleasent to be around. Someone who loves their job and who knows their limits, as well as the limit he should push his students...There are other things which makes a good Sensei, it just depends on the student.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: