Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miraistreak wrote:
BTW does anyone happen to have a website giving a good description of modern Hapkido?

This is not exactly a "description of Hapkido" but you might want to check it out anyway: http://www.hapkido-info.net/html/interviews.html

And this probably more anwers to your question: http://modernhapkido.org/

It has a description page, and it has excellent history page too.

iolair
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Ju Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Effective and Powerful Kicking attacks
Ability to defend myself with at least basic counters, takedowns etc.
Intermediate punching and other arm attacks
Basic-Intermediate Weapons Knowledge

You say TKD doesn't suit you, yet apart from the weapons part, you could be describing TKD here (strong kicks, intermediate punching, basic takedowns).

Most styles only add weapons for advanced students (Black Belt) anyway.

How about Savate (Boxe Francaise) if you can find it... it's another kickboxing style, but I think it's more oriented towards kicking than Muay Thai. Having said that, it has no weapons work...

Kung Fu again while having good kicks tends to be more hand oriented. Many styles include takedowns and a good number include weapons work (sorry, I don't really know the details of what style does what). From the sound of it though, Kung Fu (and also its "baby", JKD) are probably best suited to you. I'd suggest you visit and watch (or try) lessons at a number of the different schools near you to see which suits you requirements.

Freestyler
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly favour something like muay thai for kicks, because most of the kicks are simple, yet powerful! As well as that, muay thai utilises knees & elbows. The constant drilling and repititions performed will allow you to execute these quite easily and instictively in a fight I imagine. My favourite kick is a thigh kick, ended quite a few fights with it and it puts you at virtually no risk of being knocked flat on your back.

Okay, now that I've had my ramble..

Have you looked into krav maga? It's a self defense system taught to the Isralei army, which includes kicking, punching, elbows, knees, weapon defenses against guns and knives, defenses to common grabs such as bear hugs, as well some some ground work. It seems to have everything you want, but I'm not sure about the emphasis placed on kicks.

As for counters to basic take downs, I think the only way you're gonna learn that is if you do a grappling art and learn the most common take downs.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about 5 diffrent Krav Maga schools in Austin, Come by and try out a free class..I promise you its everything you listed and more

What part of town do you live in?

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeet kune do might be a good thing to start studying

www.hoshinkidohapkido.com

my suggestion is jeet kune do
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: