Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

broomhilda000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: judo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: What Martial Arts Work in Street Fights? Reply with quote

I'd just like to know what type of martial arts you guys thought would win in a street fight and those that wouldn't win, give some reasons please not just a straight answer. Thx

TheDevilAside
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Kenpo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Kenpo would work.

It was designed for street fights in the US. It's a very fast, effective style. It was designed to get your opponent on the ground as quickly as possible. And it focuses a LOT on multiple attacker techniques, since it's most likely that you will be attacked by more than one person. The only problem is that American Kenpo almost does no ground fighting at all. That's why it's good to cross-train in BJJ or something, my school offers grappling seminars once a week.

There's also a lot of weapon training. Empty hand vs. armed and vice versa.

I can't really tell you what Martial Art woudn't work in a street fight, becaue no matter what MA you train in, it will give you some type of advantage. For instance in Tai Chi, the extremly soft techniques they use aren't too effective in a dirty street fight. But the conditioning you get from it, like the flexibility, speed, accuracy and control you get from that martial art will help you a LOT! But also keep in mind that Tai Chi isn't purely a fighting art. The fighting aspect isn't even half of it.

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you define "street fight?".

Determining the outcome in a "street fight" isn't really something that can be done in my opinion. For one thing, there are too many variables: training/experience of the street fighter, training/experience of the MA, mental/physical states of all parties involved, whether the "street fighter" wants to kill the MA or "just" rob them, not to mention weapons, number of attackers, etc.

Also, are you clear on your definition of a street fighter? For example: what if the street fighter is also a MA? I know of at least one person you'd automatically categorize as a street fighter that also happens to be a highly ranked TMA. I'd rather not get into why you'd automatically categorize him as a street fighter, but let's just say it wouldn't be disputed. Even assuming the street fighter isn't trained in a MA, they might have PLENTY of fighting experience, in life or death situations - and guess who won? That's right - they did!

If you are simply meaning the ability of a MA to respond if attacked, well - I think they are generally better off with some training than no training, but the more training they have done that has a focus on self defense, the better off they will be. There are good schools that will do that across the realm of the MA, so I couldn't begin to say which ones could possibly succeed and which ones wouldn't. For one thing, there are loads of UNTRAINED people out there that successfully defend themselves every day just by instinct alone!

-Lao-Tse

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The style used by the person who trains hard and understand his mental, physical and emotional ability and weakness.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All styles can work in the street. The street really does depend on the person, more so than style against style.

If you're a hard SOB who doesn't mind getting hurt if you can dish out more pain, then you'll do okay.

granmasterchen
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with everyone that has posted so far here, it matters on the individual and how that individual perceives his/her training and how hard that person trains, if the individual knows their strengths and weaknesses and how to exploit their enemies then that gives them the ability to be good, having the skill, speed, and power makes it all happen in the end, the style can only teach you the skill, any skill is good and all skills can be found in any style if it is a true style, that is why they were all made, some have more of a focus and emphasis on certain aspects, it is up to the student to get the knowledge and learn from it, then to build the speed and power. So in the end i believe that it all matters on the individual that is pursuing the art.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about every stlye can work...Some are just alot more likely too imo.

Epanchin
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share the opinion that any art can be effective in a true combat situation, but I feel that the attitude must be trained that there are no rules. This is why I think a lot of sport training does not translate as well to true defense as well as training for true defense alone would.

Quote:
For instance in Tai Chi, the extremly soft techniques they use aren't too effective in a dirty street fight. But the conditioning you get from it, like the flexibility, speed, accuracy and control you get from that martial art will help you a LOT! But also keep in mind that Tai Chi isn't purely a fighting art. The fighting aspect isn't even half of it.

This I find a strange statement. Tai Chi is a martial art as much as Karate or Shaolin Kung Fu is. It was originally developed as a martial art and it continues to be taught as a martial art in many places (though they pale in number compared to those who teach it for health). There are health benefits to Tai Chi that people have realized and then used the art exclusively for. However, interestingly, training for Tai Chi as a martial art, in fact, yields greater health benefits than training it purely for "health." Tai Chi is actually very similar to Pentjak Silat in some respects, and it cultivates great power. Work with a well trained Tai Chi adept some day who trains the martial aspects of the art, and you will see exactly how brutal this art can be in the right hands.

kajukenbo dad
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kajukenbo was made for street fighting style..........Good Luck

Gandrix
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetfighter,who dont bother themselves by complited tehniques,have advantage in comparing with those who trains in halls.Psyhologically in real combat they are like fish in the water.''reality'' for them is not har reachable abstraction,but concreate situation,when it impossible to wait a mercy.during working in hall i no on subconscios that half an hour i will friendly speak with my enemy independently of fight results.
ithinc in a real combat will work a full-direct-contact karate style like kyokushinkai karate.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: