Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Have you achieved Mushin?
A.) I don't know
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
B.) No, but I do believe in it
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
C.) No, and don't believe in it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D.) Yes!!
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

DeeLovesKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan, EFK, Brazillian Jujitsu, and Tae-bo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: What's MUSHIN got to do with it... :) Reply with quote

Mushin. It is hard for me to explain, so this is a stupid question. First, can someone explain it for those who don't get it. And then, tell me if you have achieved it and when. I would like to know, cause I am trying, and don't know anyone who has and is willing to talk about it. If you are, please reply.
Grrr,
Dee

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It basically means an "empty mind".

Sometimes in training, especially when using Ki, it works very well, but it does not happen often. You dont think, you just do.

How to achieve it, I have no idea, sometimes it works and sometimes it dont.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this several times before and wow your focus goes through the roof and It just seems so much easier to do everything. I don't think I can do it on call. Like Kensei said you can not think about doing it infact you must do the complete opposite....stop thinking

I AM CANADIAN

John G
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwon-Do, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it like driving a car/automobile for the first time, you are more concerned about the mechanics (foot of brake, look in rear vision mirror, indicate etc.) and getting the thing to move forward without damaging anything, than what's happening around you.

After several years of driving you become more aware of your surroundings and react readily to emergency situations (people learning to drive) without thinking about the mechanics.

Over simplified example of mushin I know, but that's how someone explained it to me a few years back.

How do you achieve it, practice, practice, practice...

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:30 am    Post subject: Mushin Reply with quote

This will take me a while (runs upstairs to get "Living the martial way" by Forrest E. Morgon)

Ki exists, but there is nothing mysterious about it. It's simply the life force that all living things have. What's important to the warrior is the ability to coordinate his or her body and ki and focus those entitites during combat.

Kiai means to concentrate or focus the life force. Aiki means blended life force or spirit. These are related concepts that involve focusing one's ki to crush or blend with and dominate an opponent's spirit.

You can develope kiai and aiki by first finding Kokoro, the warrior's heart (indomitable spirit, mind over matter, pushing through the pain). Next to practice harageo, moving from your physical and spiritual centre (meditation with concentration of the hara). Develop the breathing power of Kokyu Chikara (coordinating your breath with movements and moving from your hara, using the correct muscles to execute a technique) and then apply kime, or focus (focus your entire being on achieving the objective, master the "spirit shout", and focus your spirit through the eyes). Finally, put these methods together and practice kata with utmost seriousness.

Mushin, or "mind-no-mind", is the mental state that is the principle source of the traditional warrior's quick reactions, extra-ordinary perception, and steely calm. Learn to enter mushin by turning off your internal dialogue. Once again, the most important exercise to practice mushin is kata.

Zanshin is alertness distilled to its essence. If you are developing kiai and mushin, zanshin will eventually follow on its own. However, you can focus its development by practicing alertness (in the street) and savouring each onset of zanshin as it occurs. Your goal is to achieve happo zanshin, or "eight-directional awareness" at will.

Many martial artists debate whether the estoric skiills in warriorship are mystical or physical. To a real warrior, it doesn't matter why they work. The only thing that really counts is defeating the enemy.

There, so as you can see Mushin is a state of having no conscious thoughts, and being able to react and practice without applying thought. Mushin is not an ends to itself, but a means to Zanshin.

I highly recomend this book, entitled, "Living the martial way" written by Forest E. Morgan to any serious martial arts - you will find it full of useful information.

Hope this helped!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: