Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh a military member

I know moving around and trying to find someone who knows what they are talking about is hard. I had to leave my Head Instructor when I joined the Army and I continued training with a few different people but I never really could find someone who could give me something that I had not already recieved from my former Instructor. So with that I knew that I had a great Instructor and now that I'm out of the service and have my own school, I'm able to train with my first instructor again and we discuss martial arts almost everyday over the phone hahahaha. Now I'm getting off topic, anyways I'm glad to hear that you are able to find good training location while moving around

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with Shorin Ryuu and ShorinRyu Sensei. I don't necessarily have anything against combined styles. I'm more interested in who combined them, their background and their reasoning for doing so.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the original poster, the term, superior Aikido throw, I have seen many Aikido throws exactly the same in Aikijutsu, Kung Gu, Judo, and Hapkido. So, can the "labeling" could be just "generic"?

tkdkarategirl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people side kick without pivoting their base foot ? How the heck do they not blow their knee out? (It seems it's a little more complicated than the WTF instep vs. the ITF toes pulled back round kick...)

Anyway, We teach TKD and incorporate some throws in self-defense oriented classes, but that's really about it...My husband has some training in Kung fu, Aikido and various weapons, but he doesn't teach them along with TKD on a regular basis...

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13

scottnshelly
KF VIP

Styles: My Style

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47MartialMan wrote:
Per the original poster, the term, superior Aikido throw, I have seen many Aikido throws exactly the same in Aikijutsu, Kung Gu, Judo, and Hapkido. So, can the "labeling" could be just "generic"?

I was hoping that no one would try to analyze my statements and completely look over my question. I was only trying to give an example. i was not trying to make any claims of superior arts.
my
Quote:
labeling
was only
Quote:
generic

please forgive me if you thought that i was trying to say that Aikido was superior in anyway to your style.

scottnshelly
KF VIP

Styles: My Style

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorin Ryuu wrote:
Techniques in a fight may help you, but understanding the principles behind them will save you.

I really like this quote. What you said made a lot of sense and i got a lot of info from your post. i always appreciate it when someone gives me an educated opinion or good piece of advice, rather than commenting on what others have said.

Thanks.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottnshelly
No problem, I have problems interpreting, mis-interpreting, and conveyence.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fundamental problem many students face when studying more than one system is lack of doctrine.

Every martial system should contain some sort of doctrine. For example, the US military doctrine is that strategic bombing is most effective, followed by a strong ground insurgency. Therefore, the Airforce gets the most funding for training and building of weaponry.

Your training should be similar. You should decide on a specific way of fighting. Be it trying for the knockout punch, strong takedowns, or base attacks; decide how you would USE your system. Anything else you learn should be used to augment that doctrine. Those things you do to set up your main fighting element are called strategies and tactics.

For example: If you are the kind of person who would rather wrestle around then strike you may prefer to learn grappling and adopt that as your main fighting system. However, you will need to have a strong fundemental grasp of punching. This can get you in close enough to make your grappleing system effective.

OR

If you prefer to Kick to vital areas. A strong kicking system (TKD) may be your choice. However, you will need to have some idea of grappleing in order to create space between you and your opponent and make your kicks effective.

The moral of the story is this: Figure out who you are and how you perfer to move. Then stop collecting techniques. Anything that does not fit into YOUR doctrine is usless to YOU!

*note* Instructors remember, one mans trash is another mans treasure. Just because it doesn't fit in your doctrine does not mean it's useless to others.

nago
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember it is the quality of what you know not the quanity. Some people try to learn so much they never seem to master the simple things. No matter what system you study it has everything you need if you learn it correctly. I would much rather face someone who does 100 techniques once a day than someone who practices one technique a 100 times a day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: