Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Max
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: my own

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is interested, there is a puglist club in Seatle that teaches the old style of bareknuckle boxing. Has anyone heard of it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Fnord
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warp Spider is right on about all this perceived rigidness in boxing. A boxer that isn't in the ring isn't going to fight like he's in the ring! Your logic is entirely flawed, Neil; it's a double-standard. You maintain that a boxer isn't going to behave like he's in a street fight, but any other martial artist would. If a boxer wouldn't normally hit below the belt, then do you assume that a karate practicioner would completely avoid strikes to the face and head - simply because those kinds of attacks aren't usually allowed in tournaments? Get real!

Aside from rebutting Neil, there are a few other points I'd like to make about boxing in general, as some people here tend to regard it as ineffective against kicking martial arts.

1) Bruce Lee. He's regarded by many people (myself included) as being a martial arts genius. Sure, he was "just" a movie star, and an arrogant SOB to boot. But the man knew his martial arts like van Gough knew painting. And his Tao included more information and elaboration on basic boxing techniques than anything else. Bruce Lee admired western boxing more than his native Wing Chun, and that says something.

2) Even if some people only consider it a (small) step above professional wrestling, the UFC and Pride competitions say a lot about martial arts effectiveness. With the possible exception of grappling, these fights are by and large determined by the better puncher. You'll certainly see the odd kick-to-the-head knockout, but it's mostly the guy who can punch the other in the face harder and faster that walks out of the ring on his own two feet. Unless you're talking about Vanderlei Silva and his magical knee.

3) Neil is partially right about street fights being very chaotic. Even the most wise and aged master can and will resort to pushing, slapping, and hair pulling when really ticked off. Why? Because if you ask me, simple is better (and Aesop would agree with me on that). Boxing doesn't teach you a million and a half techniques that you have to remember when dealing with an attacker; instead, you focus on a few that you're sure will work. In a paced sparring match where you have the leisure to play tag with your opponent's knee, it's an effective way to hurt, distract, and annoy him/her. In a fight, where you have only a split second before the other guy comes flailing at you, tactfully kicking him in the leg is a one-way trip to a bloody nose.

4) And finally, a video that proves everything I've just said beyond all doubt.

Rising Soldier
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: SHOTOKAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take shotokan classes but we mix them with boxing, kickboxing, go-ryu, and shotokan of course. TOday i had to sparr using only my fist ( Boxing) which was fun but harder than it seems... Take note i ben doing this for a while.. yet things dont come easy... takes much practice

wrestlingkaratechamp
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Brown belt shotkan karate/black belt 1st dan BJJ(8 years) high school wrestling champion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing is very hard to do. Its ALOT of work and when you finnaly get in the ring its not only physical its mental. Boxing is one of the hardest sports I have ever tried.

theSaj
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kung Fu San Soo, Krav Maga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing is not and never was meant for the street and does not work.

[[[Not necessarily true...boxing is very much a street sport. Look into Irish, bare-knuckle boxing.

The point of boxing was to:
a) keep your opponent at a distance and to strike with hard & quick jabs...

b) if brought in close to use a simple grapple to place you in a position to quickly and repeatedly lay heavy blows to the weakest points (chin, kidney, etc.)

The more street fighting versions incorporate the knees with the idea being to slam one's knee up into one's head when it is brought down.

Sport boxing also involved a tremendous amount of training in absorbing blows.

Is it effective, in certain situations and in most one on one street fights YES. Is it deadly, very much so...it's amazing some of the lb/sq" thrown by some boxers.

But in truth, it's biggest failing is that it is more of a sparring one-on-one combat form and loses effectiveness dramatically when dealing with multiple opponents. (Not having ability to throw a fist and foot attack.)

however, many of the skills learned in boxing can be very practical in most MA.

Remember, a lot of boxing is knowing how to absorb and minimize blows when they do succeed in making contact.

Northren Ogre
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!! that Brit Fight video hits the nail right on the head!!!

I love the advice for the windmilling arms!!

Quote:
The more street fighting versions incorporate the knees with the idea being to slam one's knee up into one's head when it is brought down.

How are you supposed to knee some one in the head while he's doing this??

Quote:
The point of boxing was to:
a) keep your opponent at a distance and to strike with hard & quick jabs...

You ever try to get inside the defense of even a moderately skilled boxer? Not as easy as it sounds.

Most streetfights are won and lost by strikes to the head. The key to landing strikes to the head comes from learning how to PROPERLY strike to the head.
Who learns more strikes to the head than boxers. Good, sharp, straight punches end fights more often than a knee to the head.

martialartist1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: no style as style

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh so many martial artists doubt the greatness of boxing, as boxing is a fighter's attitude. as attitude is not boxing.

bigpopparob2000
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Gracie Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing is a very effective system of fighting, but keep in mind that it is mostly taught as a sport, and as such it has its limitations. However, boxers have some serious strengths as well that you would be a fool to underestimate:

1. Strength-The boxer's first great strength is his strength. Learning to box requires so much physical conditioning in addition to the techniques themselves. Boxers are strong, quick, and light on their feet. Truth of the matter, the fitter fighter always holds the advantage. Look at Hardbody Harrison.

2. Simplicity-Keep It Simple, Stupid. All the flashy, high flying, and complicated techniques are useless in a street fight. What's more, boxer attacks and defenses can be taught in a very short time. Simple, direct strikes and blocks are easier to become second nature to a fighter, and they have more universal application. Yeah, the Muay Thai kick is a devestatingly powerful kick, and it's about as simple as a kick can get. However, could you use it effectively and keep your balance if you found yourself on a wet or slick surface? What about in a crowded area? What if the ground beneath you isn't level?

Now I'm not saying boxing doesn't have it's limitations b/c it does. Like I said before, it's mainly taught as a sport w/ rules. Real fights have no rules. Also, it's solely a striking art. A fighter needs to be able to fight in all ranges from grappling, to striking, to weapons range. Moreso, as with striking arts, the goal of boxing is to pretty much pound your opponent until he can't continue. As boxers get older, they tend to suffer brain damage simply b/c they've endured so many beatings over the years that it catches up to them.

The first thing I learned at my first JKD class 3 years ago was boxing techniques. He showed me what it was like to hit something. I've been trying out the Karate club at my school for the past few weeks, and they're making me suffer through learning all these ackward stances and strikes that are useless for a real fight. I learned more about combat from 30 minutes of boxing.

Coudo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: boxing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well written! I totally agree, boxing is the best art if you want to be able to handle yourself in a streetfight (one on one that is).

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been trying out the Karate club at my school for the past few weeks, and they're making me suffer through learning all these ackward stances and strikes that are useless for a real fight.

Maybe Karate isnt right for you. But dont diss something you have done for "a couple of weeks".
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: