Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

krunchyfrogg
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Where's the best place online to buy a gi? Reply with quote

I got one through my dojo, but I'd like a few extra as I'm a sweaty dude and I don't like doing laundry every day.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of good retailers online. Since you already know your gi size from your dojo, take a look around online. Or if you like the gi you got from your dojo and the price is fair, you can always support your dojo by asking if you can buy more from them.

mr_obvious
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Frankenstein'd Karate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more relevant..... Your particular dojo may frown on you wearing a Gi not purchased from them, or a different brand, etc.

That said, I've had good experience with the KD Elite brand from <http://www.martialartssupplies.com> just as a no-frills beater. I can't wear them to class, but I do occasionally don one of my KDE's for practicing Kata in my backyard. Nothing quite replicates the snap you get from a Gi, so yeah..... I do wear a Gi while practicing alone (however odd that may seem). Plus I can keep my official school Gis in top shape, longer

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
Or if you like the gi you got from your dojo and the price is fair, you can always support your dojo by asking if you can buy more from them.

mr_obvious wrote:
Even more relevant..... Your particular dojo may frown on you wearing a Gi not purchased from them, or a different brand, etc.

I agree. Buying from your dojo is always a good idea for the reasons above. Your sensei carries the gis he does for a reason. Maybe he likes the quality or the cut or the value. Maybe he trusts his supplier to take care of him and you if the gi turns out to be defective in some way.

Anyway, since you're asking here, I assume you have your reasons for looking at alternatives. I think it'll be hard for anyone to give good recommendations without more details. The best place to buy a cheap light weight gi won't necessarily be the same as the best place to buy a cheap heavy weight nor a good competition gi.

Laurentina
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate Shotokan & Judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many bargains on Ebay so I guess you should look there if you want to save some bucks online. You can always buy at your dojo if your sensei sells them at reasonable price.

In my school the sensei let us free to chose our gis (color must be all white) he sells them in the dojo only if you ask him or else you can go buy them somewhere else and he really doesnt care. He isnt interessed in business anyway.

Here in Italy and in some european countries we have a sportswear chain called Decathlon that sells very nice Gis (even competition WKF approved ones) for a fair price. So living in a rather small town almost everyone that needs a spare gi goes there
I have an Adidas Gi and got my spare one from Decathlon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: