Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to acheive this about a month ago when I decided that shoting out blasts of light from your hand probobly isn't gonna happen. I might start meditate. Anyone give any feed back on what KI really is and what you can really do with it.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Ki Power' is nothing special. It's just aspect of your body systems dealing with the peripheral nervous system, lymphatic vessels, and endocrine glands.

Ki is a high state of homeostasis, nothing more, nothing less. It is not something to believe in. You can't decide whether or not to believe medical science.

Yoga will work whether you believe it or not. A Xingyi sifu will break your bones with no effory whether you believe he can or not. An athlete will put in that extra burst of energy and win the game whether you believe he can or not. Someone out there will 'miraculously' recover from a life-threatening disease, whether you believe it to be possible or not.

Fact is not something to be voted on.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who believes? I do. Not as any spectacular power demonstrated in movies--or more popularly anime--but, more refined, more subtle; more precisely: passion.

Oh, the countless times I have felt the music flow through my body as mind and spirit unifiy and create energy, the pure force of human genetics. Movement and thought blurring into one. Something so poetic in expression of power, ki, chi? I think not, but passion, emotion...soul.

Taking the energy that flows from one object into another, harnessing it, and unifying with it, that I believe in.

I suppose I could define it into something a bit simpler, less poetic and reduce the romance behind it. Physics. Kinetic, potential energy and force. These things exist. An object sitting completely still has no kinetic energy, but is near limitless in potential energy. Movements and states of mentality define what kinetic and potential energies can be harnessed, unified with. Taking your mind to a different plane can open certain chemical reservoirs in your body release special chemicals allowing you do things. *Think adrenaline, for instance. The fight or flight state of mind releases that chemical* Moving your body in a manner so as to take the energies created from your movment and the movement of your target help to channel the kinetics and potentials.

That, I believe in. I believe in it because I live it, I feel it, and I enjoy it. It fuels my movements and fires my emotions. It gives refinement to the punch, the kick, the movement. Although, I don't call it ki, chi, qi, etc,; and I don't think it some mysterious power I know it exists.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Fry said it is not a wether to believe in question, its a fact. You will see Aikidoka throw eachother around the room effortlessly, and after training for an hour not really all the tired. This is Ki, Ki is when you rush into a burning house and carry out a child on each arm, Ki is when you lift a car that is crushing a fellow man. Ki is when you feel that you have nothing left, then mannage to win!

Ki is

It is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. The giver and taker of life, depending on how you use it.

Eye of the tiger, you are doing Wado and kick boxing, they dont use Ki to its fullest, watch a Hsing-i, Aikido, Hapkido, Tai Chi, Wing Chun and Ninjutsu practioner. These are the more popular martial arts that use it, I am sure there are many more.

Karate uses what is known as "Hard Ki" used to smash bords and though body's, but the true essence of Ki is to be at one with the Universe, to join with the principles of nature, if one goes against nature, and therefore the universe the how can you optain great powers.

A little philosphical I know, but it holds water.

If you want to find out more read Sensei Koichi Tohei's book on "Ki in every day life", or "Aikido". I know nothing about the Chinese martial arts in this respect. But perhaps a book by Yip Man or William Cheung.

Be Well

Deathcometh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once read somewhere that the true meaning of the yin-yang is the relationship of the body and the mind. The mind can move the body and the body can move the mind. And only when these two forces are equal with each other can one do things like lift up a car and safe someones life. Things like that.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: