Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Icetuete
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: who recieves more attention? Reply with quote

this once came to my mind and i wanted to hear your thoughts on this. we know that every student deserves the same share of attention from the instructor, after all the all have the same right to learn for the effort they bring, but after having taught my first class, i thought about... who should recieve more attention? the students that are exceptionally good and thus better than the others, or those that stay behind, because they dont grasp things as quickly as others or have problems of any kind? a good instructor should help both of course, but i find this very difficult. when i was looking after a young girl in special who frankly has problems with almost everything, the other students were unwatched during their exercises. but the good ones that need guidance to get better fast should not be slowed down by others.

thoughts?

Pricyber
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is always a hard one for me.

If I don't have extra instructors with me at the time, I generally tend to do things that involve the entire class as a whole, regardless of rank. Those things, of course, are based on what your style provides.

For me, I'll do a thorough review of all hand striking and kicking techniques. The higher ranking belts always enjoy the review because they can't get enough of it with constantly learning newer material.

Sometimes I will pick something specific in our style and disect it as much as possible, usually spending an hour or so on it. This way beginner or younger students begin to understand more and the more advance students still learn something new.

So, in summary, I try to find things to do together instead of separated by rank or age when it comes to that scenario.

Icetuete
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am as well against seperation of the class, at least if there is only one instructor. the beginners class i recently taught goes from 10th to 7th Kup grade. i was not talking about differences of age or rank. what made me think was this 9th Kup girl, and that 8th Kup boy. although he is yellow belt, i think he has a good potential and when my instructors (i am not head instructor, btw) would give him more attention he can be very good in short time, while others need extra attention and time to learn what he and some more learn in relatively short amount of time.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The student that gets my attention the most in class is this beautiful young woman with the most incredibly beautiful set of big, round, full, gorgous...eyes. OK...just kidding, but I couldn't resist!

Anyway, I teach just one class for all levels. Beginners are placed in the same class as advanced and my class right now has belts from beginning white belt to 2nd Dan black belt. If one (or more) students has problems with something, I will have one of my students (not necessarily my black belt) help them out as we continue the class. I don't like stopping class and making everyone sit and wait while I help out one person that is having problems, nor do I think it is necessary to do so.

Trust in your other students. It helps them improve their own techniques while helping someone else with theirs.

Icetuete
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't like stopping class and making everyone sit and wait while I help out one person that is having problems, nor do I think it is necessary to do so

i was not talking about stopping the whole class for one student. lets assume they are doing excersises and you watch and try to help everyone with their individual problems. that is what i was talking about.

Quote:
The student that gets my attention the most in class is this beautiful young woman with the most incredibly beautiful set of big, round, full, gorgous...eyes.

err, i mean

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quoteIi was not talking about stopping the whole class for one student. lets assume they are doing excersises and you watch and try to help everyone with their individual problems. that is what i was talking about.
[/quote]

OK..simple solution is to ask a student next to them that you know is doing the technique/exercise properly to help them out. It takes just a second, doesn't disrupt the class (much) and allows you to continue watching, demonstrating, whatever...with little interuption to the class as a whole. You need to trust yoru students that they know what they're doing and are willing to help all that they can.

The larger your class is, the more important this becomes. I've taught classes as large as around 75 people at one time by myself. You have to rely on others that know what they are doing to help those that don't, or are having problems.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with SS, this is how i've handled it in the past.

Intro

DLopez
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just an assistant instructor, but I find myself (rightly or wrongly) gravitating towards the students that show enthusiasm about their training.

I will try to get those that don't appear very enthusiastic about being there to get more enthusiastic, but if they don't, I find I usually let them be and spend more time with the ones that want to learn.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Squawman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Who recieves the most attention Reply with quote

What you try to do is get around to every student at least 3 times during class and give them a quick word of encouragemt or comment on their technique while also using their name. This can be easy if you only have a few students in class but when you get around 20 or so then you really have to work at it. And the hardest part is finding something ecouraging to say because you are always seeing the things they are doing wrong. They have to be doing something right even if its keeping their hands up. Praise, correct, praise.
Also, you need to have enough instructors so you can keep the student to teacher ratio to about 6:1.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice! I have found that those students who excell are great motivators for those who are behind when they are given the responsibility of helping them and there is no time like the present to learn to teach. Besides, that student that hangs back and lacks confidence may turn out to be an incedible Black Belt if given the extra attention they need in the beginning.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: