Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: why the stances? Reply with quote

why do karateka's train with stances such as the forward stance, back stance, and crouched stances? do you use them while sparring? fighting?

mikS
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: why the stances? Reply with quote

aznkarateboi wrote:
why do karateka's train with stances such as the forward stance, back stance, and crouched stances? do you use them while sparring? fighting?

They're used for strengthening the legs.

wrestlingkaratechamp
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Brown belt shotkan karate/black belt 1st dan BJJ(8 years) high school wrestling champion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making you stronger

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and more stable.
after all, if you cannot stand up, how can you hit?

good base = good kicks+good punches.

never skimp out on the basics like stance training. it's why the kung fu guys spend so long just sitting in stance before learning forms.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drunken Monkey wrote:
and more stable.
after all, if you cannot stand up, how can you hit?
good base = good kicks+good punches.

And a good base aids in speed and power generation. It is a crucial component of ballance. It makes it harder for an opponent to move in and occupy your space, or to knock you over.

Stances and footwork position you for offense or defense. They help make you unpredictable. They give you options.

If that's not enough, they really look cool too!

Scorcho
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Uechi Ryu, Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many stances are als transitionary. You can slide into them during a certain strite. You do not fight out of them per se, they are only used in with certain attacks.

major_motoko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate. Kobudo, Iaido

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Scorcho, when I spar it is mainly in a relax fighting stance (like a half zen-kutsu-dachi) but as I move between techniques I do find myself moving between back stances and even kiba-dachi (horse riding stance). Back stance I use when I do kicks with the front leg, kiba dachi can be used for side thrust kicks, or just to move into your opponents space.

But when you spend hours in the dojo in long front stances or horse stances, that is primarily good for building strong leg muscles and good balance.

osu
motoko

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think scorcho and major motoko have it right. Stances are transitory. You train then so much individually to strengthen muscles and acquire balance. They are designed to be balance points when you're moving. This way as you move through an attack your balance will be stronger because you are used to being in these positions. Although, most schools don't train this way. If you've never noticed, the basic stance can all be transitioned through while standing in one spot by simply adjusting the foot direction as the waist turns. Or, by sliding the foot back or forward or turning the feet in slightly depending on the situation. I practice these "walking" or movement exercises all the time with my students. I don't believe that stances were meant to be what they have become in so many schools. These hard, stiff and unyielding positions are meant to be practiced more like Taijiquan. The heels should be down and there should be a relaxed tension feeling to the stance. You should feel as though you can move easily into another position if you need to. I'm rambling....

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last three posts, adding only that there are some instances when a stance such as shiko-dachi or neko ashi-dachi can be used effectively during sparring/fighting. The long stances, like zen kutsu dachi are primarily for strengthening/stretching the legs and building discipline.
That is what so much of karate is about (to me) - the basics, repetition, etc... Correct stances are crucial for good karate!!!! IMO

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all natural standing postions just low if you think about it. We do them low to build muscle, speek, and FOCUS. Because it hurts.... They also help you balance and teach you how to work a lot of throws and takedowns once you get into the art.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: