Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

renketsu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Wierd kata techniques: Kanku Dai Reply with quote

Ok... bunkai (application) challenge for you - lets see who is awake on a friday.

There are two moves in Kanku dai (Shotokan version) that take some explaining and seem a little bizaar to say the least:

Move: Spin to stand on left leg (gankaku dachi) with right arm supported by left and then "jab" forwards with right arm and drop downwards into a "runners start" position before spinning into very low double shuto (knife hand).
Suggested bunkai: "Jab" is strike to face, drop to floor is avoidance of technique to face and then when on floor grab attackers legs (or trouser legs) and pull which will up-end them.

Move: Just done the moves out of Tekki Shodan and then turn into Kiba dachi (horse riding stance) with hands going round anticlockwise from left on top to right on top then punch downwards with right hand.
Suggested bunkai: Person jumps at you, catch them under the throat with the left hand and between the legs with the right hand, turn person upside down and punch to face (with person upside down).

I know my descriptions aren't brilliant (and I cant give position numbers from Best Karate etc) but I think most people should be able to work out which moves I mean!

I am not saying these are bad techniques as I have seen both demonstrated successfully but they are not ones I would consider using in real life! Does anyone have a better/different version of the bunkai/oyo for these two techniques?

Andy.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the first move is a drop.
1. Think of being attacked by several guys at night. The drop to the floor is to disappear. Then you pop back up. Think of this like ninja magic. LOL I know that sounds geeky but thats one application.
2. Think of someone swinging a bat or stick and you and you just drop out of the way. Then as you pop up the kinife hand move is actually a throw because you came up under the attack and grabbed and pulled him downward.
3. Its a mount. Like in grappeling. You jump on the guy on the ground. Or you jump on him standing and take him down. Along the same lines you could be just jumping on a guy sort of like a Kung Fu style like you see in the moves.

The spin and throw
1. Your just blocking punches. High, low, kicks etc.
2. The hand spin because you are grabbing his head and inner leg and you are flipping him.
3. About the same as 2 but it mixes it with one that you catch a kick and then flip him.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: