Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OxygenAsh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice Wing Chun and in the past I did boxing. I'd say Wing Chun is more effective than boxing, but also more complicated. In short term, a boxer will probbaly win. In long term - Wing Chun fighter.
Long and short terms are different for different ppl; for me a year of WC was enough to return to my boxing school and kick the **** out of some guys who did so onto me in the past

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, all martial arts take a while to get right, but once you do, you're not just okay, you're good. I'm starting Centerline style sooner or later, and I hope it'll be a good supplement to my Shotokan. One thing I'm wondering, in case there are any experienced Shotokan guys here:

Wing Chun deals with jabs and other fast, circulat strikes, but what about Shotokan? I try to block boxing hooks with knife-hand blocks, but they curve around and hit me anyway. I end up having to plunge deep into the boxer's range and go all-out, and am never able to do it quite how I want to. What's Shotokan's defense against fast, hard-to-block attacks?

leo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taikudo-ka:
Bruce lee was a talented fighter, probably the best conditioned martial artist in a very long time. He was ahead of time in regards to conditioning I just would not rely on some college fight he was supposedly involved in:)

think about this Bruce vs. prominant member of Gracie family. My money is not on Bruce

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? Bruce was a powerful ground fighter; he just never showed it in the movies and such, preferring to stick with his mobile, energetic striking. The Gracies are not bad, but there are much better fighters out there, such as Sakuhabara, who annihilated several of the Gracie clan in tournaments. Remember, though, that such tournaments as the UFC are not measures of true skill. I can't sit here and explain it, but they simply are not.

Too many people overrate the Gracies.

Mo_Tseu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

The best way to counter a hard-to-block punch is to destroy the shoulder, then you destroy the momentum of the punch.

counichiwa
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: