Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shorin Ryuu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryukyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pineapple wrote:
If a lower belt in my instructor's school tells me that I'm doing a technique wrong, I tell him Okay, since you know better than me, I'm not going to teach you anymore and I walk away.

I strongly disagree with you here. Of course, if a student tells you in a disrespectful manner, then maybe you have some leeway. But even then, I wouldn't simply walk away like that. You may want to get that person to shape up if they are being disrespectful, but I think there is a better way to handle that.

I have questioned the validity of things some of my instructors have done (always very respectfully, of course). In these situations, they have always asked if I could come up with a better solution or reasoning for doing so. Likewise, I have done the same for those people who thought or indeed knew a better way of doing things when I showed them something.

This forces the burden of work upon the person who is questioning. Rather than discouraging the question, it shows that you, as the more experience person, are still willing to learn, even from those lower than you. It also helps them to think more deeply about the technique or principle in question. Sometimes, they may see it from a completely different angle that may actually *gasp* teach you something. Either way, it lets the student know that questioning is acceptable and makes them think more in-depth about their technique. It also makes baseless accusations less common.

Part of being a good teacher is learning from your students. This includes learning from them even if it is at "your expense". Respect is something to be maintained, but the free exchange of ideas (and their debunking) is also very important.

MASIsshinryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Isshin ryu Karate, Kempo, Aikijujutsu, Shaolin Kung Fu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, teaching has to be a two-way street. One learns as much from teaching as fro mbeing taught, if they pay attention.

A good instructor is obligated to both pace and screen the concepts they teach. This is one of the most critical burdens of teaching that I can think of. If a student is not ready for a given concept, they should not be taught it. That said, it should also be noted that the instructor should be encouraging emotional and spiritual growth in parellel to the technical instruction they give. At some point, most students will be ready for whatever the intructor is prepared to teach, if all goes well.

Some people never reach a point at which they should be taught "everything." This is a fact of life. Some people are not capable of reaching a level of maturity which would enable them to properly respect the potential abilities which could be taught, or to value the life, health and peace of those around them. This does not mean that they cannot be taught, just that they might never be ready for the most advanced topics.

This is why everyone's advancement is completely personal, and it is somewhat unfair to compare the speed with which any two people achieve certain levels of skill or proficiency.

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Kobujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. in my dojo it's not permitted to contradict the instructor. Respectfully to suggest an alternative fine, or to come up with a personal viewpoint fine, but this is never allowed to be given during class.

We work to the Shu-Ha-Ri principle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: