Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

luv2flyjrn
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito kai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Wkf kata Reply with quote

Anyone running the wkf circuit? Are you finding certain types of kata more successful? Do you mix styles to perform what you feel is the best scoring version of the kata?

ineluki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wkf kata Reply with quote

luv2flyjrn wrote:
Anyone running the wkf circuit? Are you finding certain types of kata more successful? Do you mix styles to perform what you feel is the best scoring version of the kata?

I don't anymore, back when i did, the clear favourite was Unsu.

I recently came across this study though:

http://imcjournal.com/index.php/en/volume-xviii-2018/contents-number-4/1390-top-level-karate-analysis-of-frequency-and-successfulness-of-katas-in-k1-premiere-league

wayneshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wkf kata Reply with quote

luv2flyjrn wrote:

I just returned home from the WKF World Championships. I would estimate that Shito Ryu kata comprised 70 to 80 % of the Kata performed in the individual divisions.
All four finalists (Male and Female) performed Shito Ryu. In the women’s final both did Chatanyara Kushanku.

The Men’s were one Annan Dai and i think the other was also Chatanyara.
There was far more Shotokan in the team events.

luv2flyjrn
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wkf kata Reply with quote

wayneshin wrote:
luv2flyjrn wrote:

I just returned home from the WKF World Championships. I would estimate that Shito Ryu kata comprised 70 to 80 % of the Kata performed in the individual divisions.
All four finalists (Male and Female) performed Shito Ryu. In the women’s final both did Chatanyara Kushanku.

The Men’s were one Annan Dai and i think the other was also Chatanyara.
There was far more Shotokan in the team events.

Interesting no unsu from shotokan or gojushiho from goju ryu. I wonder if people are tired of unsu and superiempi.

Did anyone try to cross style and run shotokan kata like unsu, then a goju ryu such as gojushiho, and a shito ryu kata? I wish I could find a list of all kata run like in the study posted above.

wayneshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were still plenty of Unsu and Superimpi. Just not in the finals.
Shimizu from Japan did Shitoryu throughout the rounds and in the final. However she also did Team kata and they did Shotokan kata throughout.
Some Shotokan stylists seems to have picked up the kata Seisan from GenseiRyu.
Things may change again when the judging system for kata changes next year.

luv2flyjrn
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayneshin wrote:
Shimizu from Japan did Shitoryu throughout the rounds and in the final. However she also did Team kata and they did Shotokan kata throughout.

How is judging expected to change next year? I haven't followed wkf to closely but will be taking a few students to some of the Midwest competitions. Are the changes on usankf yet? Thank you.

wayneshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv2flyjrn wrote:
wayneshin wrote:

How is judging expected to change next year? I haven't followed wkf to closely but will be taking a few students to some of the Midwest competitions. Are the changes on usankf yet? Thank you.

7 judges. Separate scores for technical and athletic performance (the flag system will be gone).
It will be in effect from Jan 1 2019 and introduced at the Paris Open in Jan. . The Chairs of the five continental referees commissions will attend a briefing at that event. What will be interesting is how regional events implement it.

luv2flyjrn
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayneshin wrote:
luv2flyjrn wrote:
wayneshin wrote:

7 judges. Separate scores for technical and athletic performance (the flag system will be gone).
It will be in effect from Jan 1 2019 and introduced at the Paris Open in Jan. . The Chairs of the five continental referees commissions will attend a briefing at that event. What will be interesting is how regional events implement it.

Hmm, so back to something similar to the old scoring system. Head to head scoring or total scoring in a group? I haven't check the wkf or usankf sites yet but are the rules now published there? Thank you.

wayneshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv2flyjrn wrote:
wayneshin wrote:
luv2flyjrn wrote:
wayneshin wrote:

Hmm, so back to something similar to the old scoring system. Head to head scoring or total scoring in a group? I haven't check the wkf or usankf sites yet but are the rules now published there? Thank you.

It’s not on the WKF site yet.
I had this appear on my newsfeed less than an hour ago so I’ve just taken my first look at it.
https://karateyalgomas.com/2018/11/16/kata-and-kumite-competition-rules-for-2019/

In a lot of ways in operation it’s going to be similar to the old system.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent conversations, luv2flyjrn, wayneshin, and ineluki; I've enjoyed it a lot!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: