Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Aiko87
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: women's chest protector Reply with quote

My dojo only offers a bulky chest protector thats about an inch thick and covers your entire chest and torso. Needless to say, its tough to spar in. My one instructor told me of an thin, hard plastic chest protector for women. The place she got hers at had closed down years ago. I've been trying to find one but haven't had too much luck. A friend of mind found something similar but the chest protector is held up with a bra instead of just straps. I was wondering if anyone used this kind or know of another similar chest protector.

http://www.karatedepot.com/pr-ch-12.html

Thanks
Aiko

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one my daughter uses uses a kind of sports bra to hold it in place. This is the only type our dojo uses.

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thta's the kind of one I have (don't use it, hate the damn thing).

You can also get one's that are like bras with cups that go in.

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Dijita
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea of using something that is built into a sports bra. Like you, I hate the big ones that cover more than your breasts.

That one with the link, looks interesting, but I don't think I would be allowed to wear one with a hard plastic insert.

senna_trem
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm most afraid of when I go to my first competition... the chest protector! I've got big you-know-whats and I'm afraid I may be mortified to try to get into one of those things...oh well, I can always laugh at myself later.

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my daughter does not complain about this kind of protector other than it is a bit of work to pull on.

One of the main reasons this type of protector was suggested by Sensei was that her breasts are just starting to develop and are apt to be sensitive. A regular chest protector does not offer the same protection in this way and he said she would become overly protective of her chest if she used the traditional one.

However a draw back was that the cup size of the protector would be some where around a B and suddenly she has hard fake breasts when wearing it. No one has made fun of this that I know of, but then again they are very common in our dojo.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I [/i]hate[/i] wearing chest protectors. I find them uncomfortable and restrictive. I currently have the type that is like a bra with inserts, but I've tried out a couple of other styles before. However, I've never managed to find one to my liking.

Sheffield Steelers!

x-women
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: keichu-do

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like them.But I like to be safe.I use them when I spare...but it is very good women to develope blocking skills as well.

SanShou
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kempo Kung Fu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that is a sports bra with pockets for hard shells. Its really low profile and works pretty well. The one I have is called Turtle Shells I think.. not sure.

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x-women wrote:
I don't like them.But I like to be safe.I use them when I spare...but it is very good women to develope blocking skills as well.

I agree that too much dependance on a chest protector makes you not put enough importance on blocking skills.

The design of the chest protector my daughter uses leaves her stomach open, so she definately has an incentive to block to stop something from knocking the wind out of her.

As I mentioned her breasts are developing and protecting them while they are at this very sensitive stage is important. Kyoshi (head sensai at our dojo) mentioned for girls at this age if they do not get this style of protector they tend to over protect their breasts and this is not good either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: