Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sparkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: YAHOOO!! Kobudo!!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Remember I was worried about going to this Kobudo Seminar? ( http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5483 )? Well, I went on Saturday and learned 2 new katas! I learned Suis Nokun Niban (a bo Kata) and Matayoshi Chinpo Notunfa Nidan (a Tunfa Kata). The seminar was by Nick Flores who was taught by Master Odo for many years in Okinawa.

I was so worried about going, but something really, really cool happened! The first thing we were to do was line up according to rank and follow along with the kata the best we could (we did the bo kata first). Nick Sensei walked around and the students that were having difficulty he pulled them out and put them in a group. Then he watched the people he pulled out and saw those of us that were having a particularly hard time. He had black belt students matched up with some of those students. But me, I was having the hardest time of ALL the other students (I've only been training in Karate since November!). He pulled me aside special and basically he taught me all by myself! I was so poorly skilled that I got special attention and it was so great! He was so kind and patient and went small step by small step so I learned both kata really well. I'm not GOOD at them yet, but I can remember all the steps and perform them with good technique.

I had never even touched the tunfa before Saturday and now, I can do a whole kata! It's pretty cool. I'm really glad I went and I appreaciate the replies to the message I posted previously that encouraged me to go. It was super advice.

My next deal is that I'm going to do my first test for my stripe on February 18th. I've got LOTS of time to practice!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had such a great time. Practice hard.

kazuya Mishima
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that. I would like to have seminars like that where i live but, well, they are none.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great being the lowest belt at a seminar . My training partner and I were the lowest belts at the last seminar we went to and we got all the focus from the higher-ups .

superleeds
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my first bo excersise last friday. We learnt 6 kihon's. It was very inspiering indeed. One a funnier note i actually hit myself i the shin while showing off One of my fellow students told me that i almost knocked himself out. Dangerous stuff

superleeds
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... he almost knocked himself out...

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: YAHOOO!! Kobudo!!! Reply with quote

Sparkey wrote:
My next deal is that I'm going to do my first test for my stripe on February 18th. I've got LOTS of time to practice!

Wishing you luck and continued perseverence!!! ...
hurry back and tell us how you did!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superleeds wrote:
I did my first bo excersise last friday. We learnt 6 kihon's. It was very inspiering indeed. One a funnier note i actually hit myself i the shin while showing off One of my fellow students told me that i almost knocked himself out. Dangerous stuff

Did we neglect to mention that part of your kobudo education was smacking yourself with the weapon? That is one of the reasons it is good to wait until you have a solid grasp of fundamentals before starting weapons.

One of the most important, and often overlooked, aspects to training is awareness of what is going on around you and looking before making a turn.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did we neglect to mention that part of your kobudo education was smacking yourself with the weapon?

ah this brings back memories, I had to do this in my first kobduo class, that is strike myself. You learn really quick how much weapons hurt. This lesson alone hightens your awareness dramatically

I AM CANADIAN

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is kind of hard to snicker though when you hear someone with more than a bit of experience get clumsy and smack themselves good in the middle of class.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: