Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMA will always be around not everyone that takes martial arts is interesting in fighting.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there will always be people who find the traditional martial arts appealing. Weather they want a hobby, fitness, fun, or a means of self defence that involves more than just 1-2 punches.

And in a few years time all the 'modern' martial arts will be seen as traditional to because more and more people will be doing them.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has to do with supply and demand. If someone wants tradition they will seek it out and find someone to teach them. Schools that are not based on providing the consumer with what they want are destined for failure. What the consumer wants is the key and it varies from glorified babysitting to all out "old school" blood, sweat and tears training.

Now here is a question. What is the date or other requirement that you would consider an art to be "modern"? I think I will start a new thread...

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now here is a question. What is the date or other requirement that you would consider an art to be "modern"?

Very good question, im interested to see what everyone says about this. But for me I dont consider different forms of martial arts as modern or traditional. i just take them for what they are.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being traditional or modern is not a matter of date, it is mostly a matter of attitude. Modern MAs are focused on teaching you to fight (in a ring like Kickboxing or in the street like JKD, Krav Maga etc.)
Traditional martial art also teach traditional values and philosophies. There is a cultural aspect in TMA that you won't find in any modern martial arts. Maybe a modern martial art is more efficent in teaching you how to fight but with a traditional martial art you enjoy a lot its complexity and the culture behind it.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culture isn't necessarily a factor. judo and muay thai are considered modern MA, but you will in many cases learn aspects of the cultures of both while training, bowing, the ram muay, respect, etc...

The main factor, IMO is the training methods. modern styles are geared towards efficiency and producing a competent fighter quickly. There are few styles that will turn out a GOOD fighter as quickly as style like bjj, boxing and muay thai can.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SevenStar"]Culture isn't necessarily a factor. judo and muay thai are considered modern MA, but you will in many cases learn aspects of the cultures of both while training, bowing, the ram muay, respect, etc...

[quote]

This is why I do not consider judo and Muay Thai modern arts.
BTW Muay thay is also chronologically very old? Isn't it?

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, chronologically, it's old. but the training methods and the fact that it is now a competition sport place it in the modern category.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: