Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen. Zany Zord, Ztarting Zith ZA Z, Zounds zxciting.

longarm25
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryu Kyu Te

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well written

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha
but do not reley on them." Musashi

CrouchingTiger
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial man, I actually realised what your post meant today! Until now, I didnt have a clue what you had written... I think longarm's post had something to do with it.
I think nobody knows anything more about enlightenment then?

dear john
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Dan Zan Ryu ZenYo Bujutsu, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcav wrote:
Everyone has a slightly different idea of what enlightenment is, but basically its "knowledge", "insight" and "true understanding" on a philosophical and spiritial level. Being able to see all things clearly within the scheme of totality. Being one with the universe kinda of stuff.

this was an answer on a question i feel needs a bit more elaboration.

when you are in a true Zen state, it does not mean that you have this great knowledge which you helps you understand all things. you understand all concepts of life because you understand what it is to be human.

it is simply that you have no wants. you are partial to nothing so making a desicion is simple for you, because nothing clouds your judgment. people think that once you have reached zen than you become blissfully happy. but i dont think it is really. in my studies it is more about knowing yourself 100% completely with no doubts about who you are what your abilities as a person are. i really dont see how someone in the west could reach zen, because most of the people who do not get attached to things and stay impartial have attachment issues and are inherently partial. or you are clingy and are partial anyways society really doesnt allow for most of the true concepts to filter through.

just my opinion, feel free to fight it.

emember, not closer to God, closer to your Self or rather Life.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In college, having a Professor of Buddhism, which later became a student of mine in martial arts, gave me much insight to Bodhisattva subjects. From my many notes, it can be basically, but not completely understood, by Occidentals. The subject of meditation gets deep, to very descriptive levels. From many Bodhisattva Mandalas, teachings or practices, meditation, is but one. There are mandalas for Medical/Healing, Elements, Human Characteristics, Movement, Experience, and Symbolism. The later being the most acceptable, but inadequate, term/definition per a art form. (To which some English dictionaries mis-define)

Almost as detachment to things, but mindful and aware. Buddhism had bhavana ("culture" or development") into two general kinds of meditation, smatha, (samaadhi, or cittekaggata), meaning mental concentration, and vipassana, (vipasyana, or vidarsana) meaning insight from which spawned the Chinese version Ch'en. From which the Japanase pronounce as Zen.

All of which will give one insight to why Ch'en Temples, such as Shaolin, its practitioners accepted the "meaning" of physcial conflict, i.e. fighting. Thus with Zen, accepted by the Samurai. The only difference between the Chinese and Japanese version, was addition of bushido.

In all, it can be considered as mindfulness or awareness with regard to one's activities, to live in the present moment, to live in the present action. It can be considered to be one that hasn't to perform any particular action in order to develop mindfulness. But one has to be mindful and aware whatever they do. One has to only cultivate mindfulness and awareness.

dear john
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Dan Zan Ryu ZenYo Bujutsu, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: yo yo yo whats up Reply with quote

nice post

RokuEmpi
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic, and one that I have spent much time contemplating. It has been said that what can be spoken of Zen is not Zen - so how can one attempt to talk about this on chat, or anywhere else for that matter? However, one of my favorite websites is [url][http://www.AppliedZen.com/Videos], and has videos you can download - apparently there is a new download coming soon that's on Zen in Life & Work that should prove to be interesting, given the content that has appeared on the other videos. So, maybe you should check it out as another resourse.

But it's definitely something that's interesting, and I know enough to know that I only have a slight glimpse of all that is really encompassed in Zen!

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen could be spoken of, but not understood by speaking.

Ashigeru
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Akijutsu, TKD, kempo, kenjutsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cha'n Buddhism came about in China when Buddhists added taoist philosophy into their belief system, and found that it not only fit, but that it actually helped to directly transmit (without words through direct experience, since not there are things that cannot be explained by words, but must be experienced to understand) enlightenment.
The Japanese later called it Zen when it was imported from china.
The Bushi of Japan found that Zen helped them in numerous ways. Losing fear of death, not being distracted by the enemy (zanshin), being able to "know" what an opponent will do before even he knows (mushin), and many other abilities that enhanced their survival on the battlefield.

The Tao that can be spoken is not the true Tao.

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i consider zen a very good path to follow for a martial artest. being a theravada buddist i get along with nearly all zen teachings, zen meditation is espesially useful in the hour or so before a match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: