Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Admitting fear Reply with quote

Training and practising martial arts as and improves physical skills. The mental part, is much harder to work on and fear can be a difficult obstacle to overcome. Learning to use it as an advantage requires specific training, which is often neglected.

The most common things everyone is afraid of, regardless of skill or experience is getting hurt in training or skills failing when they are most needed. Beginners are usually more inclined to freely admit being afraid, but what about instructors or more experienced people?

Can you admit to being afraid? How do you deal with it knowing that you might never know for sure unless you have the misfortune of being forced to defend yourself with what you have been training?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic; glad you started it!!

Quote:
Beginners are usually more inclined to freely admit being afraid, but what about instructors or more experienced people?

I believe, that everyone, from time to time experiences a multiple levels of fear; it's natural to feel that. But how one deals with it, that makes the world of difference.

That thin line that's been drawn on the sand concerning what this topic is addressing, imho, has to be drawn in such a way that that line never fades and/or erased.

Being afraid is as common as the air that we breathe, and it's as mysterious as it is rewarding!!

Future
Events
Appearing
Real

Addressing these fears in what we're afraid of will vary as to the severity as well as to the individual. There's no cookie cutter prescription/ways to deal with ones fear(s)!!

Quote:
Can you admit to being afraid?

By all means...a resounding...YES!!

I'm afraid right now!! I've a medical issue that I was diagnosed with on October 4th, 2016....and I'm afraid!! Not for just me, but for my immediate family!! I will also admit that since the diagnosis, I've had more than a few pity parties, of which, I'm ashamed of.

Without going into a religious rant and all, let me just say, I've already laid this medical issue at the feet of Jesus; what happens, happens. God's will will be done!!

I'm not going to allow it to rob me of my joy!!

What I've been diagnosed with is an Irregular Heart Beat, aka, Afib!! Literally floored me; caught me off guard. My dad and my brother have Afib! My dad's 85 years old and with his second pacemaker! My brother is just over 6 years older than me, I'm 59, today, and my brother is following his doctors instructions and the like to the nth degree.

I went to the Cardiologist yesterday, and I was told that my Afib is in it's very earliest stages...that was a relieve. Yes, I still have Afib, but considering the many stages/types of Afib, I feel quite fortunate.

On November 14th, 2016, I'll have an ECHO Sonogram of my heart. Then, I'll have a Heart Inversion with the hopes of bringing my heart back to normal rhythm. Taking blood thinner right now to stave off the risk of stroke, and there's fear in that because if I cut myself, I could bleed to death!! Stress is the enemy of Afib, therefore, for now, I'm contemplating to step down as Kaicho of the SKKA, until the doctor gives me the green light to return to the floor!!

I'm slowly becoming that fixture at the gym; that's how often I'm there!! Chasing a healthy lifestyle...exercising...losing weight...watching my diet!!

So, yeah, fears come to everyone, but it's how you deal with it makes all of the difference.

Quote:
How do you deal with it knowing that you might never know for sure unless you have the misfortune of being forced to defend yourself with what you have been training?

I try my darnest to not allow it to rule me and/or rob me of my joy; I'm learning!! To live for the moment...to live today as though it's my last day!! I owe that to my wife and kids!!

So, fear/being afraid is part of life, and my mindset has to be geared full-time to beat my Afib, but when I'm my lowest, I've a greater source of comfort through Christ.

As far as fear/being afraid as a MAist, like Jim Kelly said, when he play Mr. Williams from "Enter the Dragon"..."I don’t waste my time with it. When it comes I won’t even notice … I’ll be too busy lookin’ good!!" No it's not boasting and/or bragging, it's me being complete as a MAist!! Therefore, Mizu No Kokoro and Tsuki No Kokoro comes to my mind, and it's not always what you do, but it's how you do it.

Last edited by sensei8 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

el-peligroso
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Jujutsu, Kickboxing, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't really fear anything. Not now doing Martial Arts recreationally or in the past competitively. It has never been a life or death thing for me so what should I be afraid for?

gunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck to you Sensei8. Hope everything works out great for you.

Not long ago our Grand Master was discussing Fear and how you can use it to improve performance. If you can harness the potential, it can increase your alertness and speed. On the other hand, it can paralyze you if you let it get the best of you.

My instructors advise is to embrace your fear. It's your friend trying to protect you.

Easier said than done.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gunner!!

I like what both your GM and instructors approach fear because one can either use that fear for you or against you; it's about having that positive mindset!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear like all other emotions need to be recognized and accepted. This doesn't mean to give in to fear, just to know how to deal with it.

In martial arts fear needs to be controlled, as it can freeze or immobilize a person. Can cause tunnel vision and stiffen joints and muscles.

With practice a person can use one's own fear and turn it into an advantage.

By practicing your adrenaline rush will open a door inside releasing the energy to deal with the moment.

Calm, relaxed yet focused ready fuelled with adrenaline is a powerful combination. If the opponent can sense this in you, then you have won 50% of the fight already.
Depending on the circumstances the opponent my decide to just walk away.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are those who are driven by fear and who started to train because of it, and continue because of fear. This is a good thing, however it is very easy to allow fears to grow, take over and become involved in a cycle where one type of fear just grows into another.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote by Bruce Lee "Commit fearlessly"

aazaaazaaazaaaza
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan karate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravery isn't the absense of fear but the conquering of it.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fear of not trying is far greater than my fear of failing. If I try and fail I can try again...Until I get it right. (in most cases)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: