Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you think so? an off balance head kick can mean I get dumped on my butt. It means my kick may have less power, it means I'm uprooted more easily...It bad no matter what your style.

Ironberg
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Karate, WTF Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... for starters Karate sometimes has techs like the such:
- 360 kicks (side hook and crescent)
- Tornado kicks and combos (more momentum than balance, but still)
- machine gun kicks (doing multiple kicks without putting the foor down)
- Ariel kicks
- Stances like crane, and one with a chambered sidekick (The knee is near the face). Kinda like Bill Wallace.

I could mention more, but kickboxing likes to keep things a bit simpler and not as challenging to actually pull off.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think that that would be applicable. I can do a tornado kick and land it with the same leg I kicked on (that's the chinese way) as well as jump spinning kicks... those haven't helped my roundhouse at all. Those movements are done so fast, balance isn't really that big a factor.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technically speaking, karate likes to keep stuff simple also. It's the modernized stuff that has all of those flashy kicks.

Ironberg
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Karate, WTF Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really!

Personally, I find it intriguing how much doing the advanced techniques have helped my basic ones. My currect roundhouse kick would not be the same without the 360 roundkick (speed and power are up). My basic hook kick wouldn't be the same it is today if I hadn't practiced the jump spin hook kick thousands of times (speed and power are up).

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the power generation for those techniques are different...

*Martial Boy*
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: hui Reply with quote

Hi both are a great art, but when muay fight you don't really rely on balanaced if you throw a dasvastaing roundhouse the leg will not come back to the original position like karate.

In a karate tournamet (Am a kumite medalist) if you lnded a blow you have to pull it back properly and have a good techniques good brething.

A muay thia kicks might be hard but if they throw a kick then it will not be like karate they'll will probely throw another from the other leg and knee them.

Balanced is not an issue in muay thai in the ring as long as you hit your oponent.

But karats kicks really need better balnced, like Natural said he can easlily kick like muay thai when the sensei's is not watching then if they see him he will do a proper kick that rely on body movement and good balnaced.

Karate round kick will satr off by lifting the kness leg high to the side then came out circle dead staright and bring it back to the side then returns.

A round house muay thai will go staright ahed without correcting your feet toe etc then swing to the right to the oponet.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: * Reply with quote

*Martial Boy* wrote:
Hi both are a great art, but when muay fight you don't really rely on balanaced

that's wrong.

A muay thia kicks might be hard but if they throw a kick then it will not be

Balanced is not an issue in muay thai in the ring as long as you hit your oponent.

that is why your first statement is wrong. If the kick misses, you will definitely rely on balance. many fighters will complete the spin they have from the momentum of the kick, so they may re face their opponent. They will then immediately raise the opposite leg, expecting a kick to be coming from that side. When you do this, you MUST have balance.

A round house muay thai will go staright ahed without correcting your feet toe etc then swing to the right to the oponet.

basically. it doesn't just go that direction though - you are pushing off of the ground. that push, either solo, or combined with other MT power generation methods, like stepping and / or switching and sinking is where the power of the kick comes from, as opposed to a chamber.even thought the leg doesn't chamber, however, it is still returned to it's starting point, and not just dropped where it was, in many cases. dropping your foot puts you a little closer to your opponent, and also causes you to switch leads. That's bad for people who can't fight equally with both leads.

Rich_2k3
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Trodai Karate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.combateffective.com/Improve_your_roundhouse_kicks.htm

We could all do with a look on this link, it improved my kicking power.

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich great site thanks
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: