Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Scorcho
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Uechi Ryu, Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I am still more of a Karate-do man, I have taken up Aikido at college and I really enjoy it. Nice to learn some close fighting skills.

TomanGaidin
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Iwama Ryu Aikido

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing Iwama Ryu Takemusu Aikido for a bit over a year now, and thoroughly enjoy it. Wouldn't mind trying a bit of judo sometime when I've got the extra time and money for a spot of randori to better timing and such, but in any case that'd only be in addition, not a replacement. I enjoy aikido too much .

TURBO7
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: my style

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: hey... Reply with quote

Can someone reccomend an Aikido association that would be best to train under??? I am a TKDist, and I want to learn some grappling (internal) not so square art. What would be the best Aikido ryu to do?? I want to be able to do Aikido mostly for "real world" self defense, not that McDojo crapola.

TomanGaidin
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most styles, it'd probably depend on the dojo. Some instructors focus on self defence, some on traditional weapons, some on ki/spiritual aspects, some on all of those combined. But, it could be said that some associations have different focus overall - but just a note that does differ from dojo to dojo. Anyway -

Yoshinkan - They're one of the harder, more 'martial' styles of aikido. The few clips I've seen of Yoshinkan students have left me impressed.

Tenshin - The style sort of formed by Seagal, it seems to focus quite heavily on quickly applicable techniques. Some of it seems a bit like old school jujutsu, and their randori is intense enough that it can go to the ground and continue on with the 'thrower' trying to get to their feet and just continue on. Realistic training, in other words.

Shodokan/Tomiki - Don't know too much about these, but they have sparring in them with an unarmed person versus another person with a rubber tanto (knife), and I'm not sure, but Shodokan at higher levels I believe has unarmed vs unarmed sparring. As said, though, I'm not sure. Seems like it can be a fairly hard style.

Aside from those, I'm not sure... I give a spiel for my own style of aikido, Iwama Ryu, but... that'd be cheating ;p.

TURBO7
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: my style

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: cool... Reply with quote

TomanGaidin wrote:

Aside from those, I'm not sure... I give a spiel for my own style of aikido, Iwama Ryu, but... that'd be cheating ;p.

thanks, so what's up with Iwama Ryu?? What do you focus on?

TomanGaidin
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should've been 'I'd give a spiel', not 'I give a spiel'... but anyway...

Iwama is one of the more 'traditional' styles of aikido. Not necessarily more martial, as that depends on the dojo, but the particular one I'm in always stresses integrity in each attack and movement, etc, to ensure that it's the technique that's working and not just the other person 'giving' it over.

One of the trademarks of Iwama Ryu seems to be a bit more weapons training, and from earlier on. In the dojo I'm in we start straight away with an hour of weapons work, bokken (wooden sword) or jo (staff) with occasionally some tanken/tanto (knife) work afterward before moving onto an hour of unarmed techniques. In other styles such as Yoshinkan I've heard of the training being completely unarmed based before a certain rank, yet again this would be dependant on the preference of the instructor at an individual dojo.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: