Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kirves,

Yes, I think we agree on the subject, we just have two differnent way so of expressing it. I didn't forget BJJ's stand-up grappling. I just presented it under the light of needing a better curriculum for a complete self-defense package.

And yes, about any single it can be said it is a single method of thought, that, too, was my point. When asked about BJJ alone being effective for self-defense I assumed what the question wanted to know was pertaining to being able to defend your life when needed. And, IMO, BJJ alone cannot do that sufficiently. Neither can any one other art. And I think we both see this. I do apologize if I came off ignorant, I sometimes express ideas without fully explaining the reasoning behind those ideas. I like to let the reader gather what they can.

I look forward to further sharing knowledge pertaining to the martial arts.

Thanks.

MA.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial_artist,
I understand where you're coming from, and agree that added with another striking art, BJJ will be more effective. However, I disagree that by itself BJJ is not an effective art for self-defence. The Gracies have used BJJ in fights in Brazil for many years. If there was such a big hole because of the lack of striking don't you think they would have changed the art?

I have used pure grappling when working as a bouncer to win fights, and I know of other people using pure BJJ in fights who have no other martial arts experience, and winning, even against multiple opponents.

Personally I'd rather knock someone out standing, but I know that I can also win using pure grappling, and that BJJ by itself does have a comprehensive self-defense system - as long as you train it.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as fighting someone bigger, again, I'd much rather take them down and finish them from mount or knee-ride. Most people have no idea what to do on the ground and a bigger guy on his back doesn't have leverage or the power to do any damage from this position, whereas standing he's a real danger, evn if he knows nothing.
Regarding mobility from here, knee-ride (or knee-on-belly) is a perfect half-way position. It allows you to choke, armbar or strike your opponent and still retain mobility.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that BJJ gives you one of the best chances against a larger/stronger opponet..

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyS,

At least we can agree to disagree civily and not get childish about it. I appreciate your insight and comments. I still hold to my original statement, but am appreiciative of yours.

MA.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: