Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found its cheaper at Amazon, sadly its still dear at 23 pounds, but i will get it,
to kickchick, - do you think its really worth the purchase?

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definitely! It's a must for martial artists and actually geared to us also. There are parts of the bbok that are actually way too "scientific" even for me to understand or for that mater 'hold my interest' .... but for the most part it is very helpful as far as "how you should physically" stretch .... how to relieve the tension of the muscles around the joints to increase your range of motion.... because actually it is only muscle tension and your believe it or not --- your nervous system that prevents you from doing splits or achieving maximum flexibility.
See the thread on "stretching machines" .... there are a few other members that do give this a

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-06 15:05 ]

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it atually help me in performing the splits
because that was what the book was most recommended for - helping in performing the splits
it says that it can be performed in a couple of months, which in my view is total rubbish,
but does the book aid in performing the splits?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad, his methods of stretching will make you one flexible ***** in no time.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that right Bon!! .... I have improved soooo much since now I know exactly what was inhibiting me to achieve the proper front/side split. The book makes you understand and really it makes sense ...(the points that he makes never really occur to you until you see it in writing and get down on the floor and work your stretch (with book in front of you!). If I had to kick cold in a given situation (attack), I can kick high without warming up (although I still think you should properly warmup before training).

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so from your impression, i guess youve read the book bon??
im satisfied enough, im getting a copy, thnx again for the advice

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can train without weights and gain substantial strength.
With strength will also bring size, but not to the extent that bodybuilding will.
Let's take pullups for example: do as many pullups as you can so that you are straining to do the last one.
Wait a couple days and then do as many as you can WITHOUT straining.
Continue this cycle till you can do about 30 pullups. At this point you should be able to chin yourself with one arm.
To continue strength gains , warm up with 15 reps and then do as many one arm pullups as you can, using the cycle method described above.
This can be applied to calf raises, squats, pushups, handstand pushups.
If you do lunges also you will be working every major muscle group in the body.
Keep in mind that increasing the amount of reps in a given amount of time increases the intensity of the workout.
to increase the intensity of abdominal work, hold a dumbell on your chest while doing crunches or do situps hanging from your knees upside down.
As a former competitive bodybuilder I can tell you that your workouts must increase in intensity or you will not continue experiencing gains.
Also as you get older your testosterone level will increase and that has everything to do with gaining strength/size.
Good luck

[ This Message was edited by: Ti-Kwon-Leap on 2002-06-08 18:21 ]

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ad, Eye of the Tiger and the rest of you who want to bodybuild without using weights or to bulk up,

I would like to recommend book on bodyweight conditioning exercises entitled Combat Conditioning:Functional Exercises for Fitness & Combat Sports written by Matt Furey.

Furey is a martial arts world champion, the first American to ever win a gold medal competing in China, and a no-nonsense authority when it comes to disseminating quality information on grappling. Matt has immense knowledge on both mental and physical conditioning.
There is a variety of bodyweight-only movements! Some of them basic, some not -so...(such as handstand pushups, reverse pushups, wall walking, fingertip pushups, and jumper squats. )
What he features is the "Royal Court," which consists of three exercises: Hindu pushups, Hindu squats, and the king of all exercises,
the back bridge.
All the exercises in this book will give you new challenges, muscular endurance and confidence!

shaolinprincess
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the thought of body building cause it makes your body bulky.

nonpuritan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im only 14 and I go to the gym everyday. I dont think its hard on me at all, I just dont strain myself to hard... But if your looking for something to REALLY excercise your theighs/calfs/legs in general try taking up skatebaording or snowboarding. After doing both for about 3 year my theighs are hard as rock and when I go to the gym with my 2 friends who are both 14 also I can do about 200lbs pounds more than them on the leg press, thats how good boarding is after 3 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: