Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaolinprincess, you don't need to develop bulky muscles like a man in order to gain strength by bodybuilding/weight training.

Females can double our strength without any noticable change in muscle size. In fact, most women don't have the genetic potential to develop large muscles because we have significantly less testosterone than men have.
You train to develop strength, improve your posture, prevent training injuries by maintaining bone density (crucial for women as you get older!) ... and a little muscle definition (need I have to say it) looks sexy on a woman!

... but then you would have known all this if you had taken the quiz here!
http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3454&forum=19&14

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an awesome no-frills move to build those pecs!
This "body weight fly" requires no weights and no bench! ... and its fun, besides you'll be cleaning house while you're at it!

Get a couple of towels or slip on some socks on your hands (or knit gloves).... and find yourself a slippery floor. Spray some "dusting wax" on a wood floor , that oughtta do it.
And instead of lying on a bench and lowering dumbbells as in a standard chest fly you are going to lower your body weight from a push up position. This is much harder than a pushup so you'll be getting bigger stronger muscles. (if you have back problems do it with knees on floor!)

Towel Chest Fly:
Hands on towels/socks on tile, hard wood or vinyl floor.
Elbows slightly bent throughout the movement.
Back flat, and feet hip width apart.

Now the "move":
Start with your hands close together. Slide them out to your sides to lower your body then return to the starting position.

Do 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

.... WOW... look how shiny your floor is!!!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-23 15:50 ]

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 15 you're unlikely to bulk up like Arnie or Van Damme. Weights will make some difference, mainly in keeping you trim and cut, and building some muscle, but you won't see optimum results until you reach final physical maturity, generally around late teens, early twenties for guys.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have gained more muscle when I dont lift. (of course I lift for endurance and tone. Low weight more reps)

My muscles on my arms chest and shoulders are all from pushups....and other arm exercises that I do but I dont know what they are called.

I only use weights because I was brought into it by football. I dont lift for bulk though. I always lift for tone and endurance.

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
I can't remember all of the arguments for why a lot of the rumoured risks are myths and how weight lifting can actually be beneficial for young people, but if you ask on the forums there I'm sure you'll get an informed response.

Hi all. It's mainly because the bones are still in growth and most growth occurs at the ends of bone - the epiphyses - just underneath the bulbous shaped bits at each end. Heavy loading from weight training can damage these bone ends which can cause inflammation, avulsion at the joint, and PAIN! Look up Osgood-Shlatter's disease to see why you should be careful about this, ad! (and you, nonpuritan!)

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weightlifting can increase strength and muscle size in adolescents and teens. Injuries to growth plates can occur, but can be prevented by avoiding 'maximal lifts' ... trying to lift as much as possible at one time. The greatest benefits and smallest risks occur when 8 to 15 reps can be performed with a given weight before adding weight in small increments.

The 2000-2001 Committee on Sports Medicine & Fitness from the
American Academy of Pediatrics recommend the following:
http://www.exercare.com/exerinfo/strength4kids.htm

This thread is Bodybuilding without weights ... so in effect you cannot say there is a reason why younger children could not
participate in strength-related activities, such as push-ups and sit-ups.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was it Bitsearch. I am no authority here but I have heard the counter argument to that is that weight training will not cause damage to the growth plates, but will occur if the user tries to max out as Deby says, or uses improper form and causes an injury. You are safe to lift weights as long as you are careful, use proper form and safety guidelines, and progress sensibly. I am Bodybuilding at the age of 15, and we'll see how my height comes along in the coming years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - yup, consensus seems to be that it only represents a potential problem when really heavy weights are used, as Kicky said and really, the benefits of children and young adults doing exercise in general far outweighs the small risk from overloading. Beats having some lard-ar5ed couch potato as your child and not many kids will use maximal loading!!

Also, I forgot to say that avulsion is a risk for serious weight-lifters and body-builders of any age anyway.

inyctrotter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to build your upper body....i suggest wing chun....i remember i started it...and the first month...with a lot of practice.....i had 4 packs.....with more training....i would say 3-6 months i had 6 packs...

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the added cardio benefit of a martial art burning fat, thus revealing the abdominal muscles underneath the previously-existing layer of fat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: