Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: chest muscles Reply with quote

how can i improve my chest muscles without goin to the gym? i do have some dumbells though if that helps.
Thanks

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushups work well for the chest muscles, if I am not mistaken. My answer is premature, surely kickchick will be on this thread and give you some good advice!
Girls kick butt!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a set of dumb bells you can do the following to target those "chest muscles".....
There are two basic types of exercises for the chest:
Presses: in which the arms are extended away in front of the body in a pushing motion.

Fly's: in which the bent arms (to take stress off the elbows) are drawn across the front of the body in a hugging motion.

These "flys" activate the whole chest area:
Lie on a flat bench and grasp a pair of dumbbells
Start the movement with the dumbbells straight up, above your face, with your arms slightly bent and your elbows locked.
Slowly lower your arms down in an arc towards the floor.
Lower until you feel a good stretch in your chest.
Return gently and slowly to the starting point.

These dumb bell presses activate the lower, middle and outer area of the chest, but also the deltoids:
Grasp a pair of dumb bells and lie back on a flat bench, holding the weights just outside your chest.
Place your feet firmly on the floor and keep your back flat against the bench.
Forcefully press the weights up in an arc, exhaling after you pass the midpoint.
Squeeze your pecs for a brief second at the top, but avoid forcefully locking out your elbows.
Lower the weight under control back to the starting position.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - Dumbell Presses and Flies. Try 3 sets of each and finish with a couple of sets of pushups to fail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a push-up bar that had handles on it that gave full range of motion (you could dip past your hands for a full stretch). You could put the handles in close to work on your triceps or put them out wider to give you that "fly" feeling.

Dumbells with a bench is a good combination as you can get that full stretch too. If your dumbells are really light you may want to warm-up your muscles by doing push-ups first and follow those up with the dumbell exercises which really isolate your chest muscles, or you can pre-exhaust your pecs by doing the flies first and then doing your other exercises.

I would recommend training no more than three days a week to allow for proper recovery time.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

push-ups are boring tho there are loads of variations (horay!!!).

hands wide apart, close together, on top of one another,
with your feet elevated (on a chair),
with your elbows out to the sides or elbow tucked in (more tricep work), with on leg on top of the other, with legs apart,
one handed press ups,
press up and touch your shoulder with your hand then press up and trouch other side,
press ups with a clap, press ups with some one sat on your back, hand stand push ups, finger tip press ups, press ups on your thumbs, knuckle press ups press ups with a friend, cat stretch (hindu push ups?). or good ol' standard push ups.

Bretty

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Heres a great exercies... Reply with quote

Just remembered this one (probably not good if your shoulders dislocate, but then nuffins good if your shoulders dislocate) and no special equipment needed either

Step 1:
Stand up with arms straight out in front of you, hands open and palms facing each other about an inche apart.

Step 2: keeping arms straight bring arms out to the sides (so you look like a scarecrow)

Step 3: bring arms back so they are again out in front of you but not touching.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 a hundred times as fast as you can without your hands ever touching.

Do that every day for a few weeks and you'll have a chest and shoulders like arnie.

Bretty

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. keep em coming.
just wondering am i too young (14) to start doin wieghts like dumbells and barbells? and will it stop me growing muscle later or stop me growing taller as much?

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myths, myths, and myths!

Lift my friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. thanks jack i will lift away!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: