Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wing Chun
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wing Chun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know too much about the plot but in the film jet li beats a lot of karate black belts. now jet li markets wushu, which some people consider a generic term for chinese martial arts. and that guy obviously thought that karate represented the japanese arts. so when he saw wushu beat karate in a way he thought it was trying to portray chinese martial arts superiority .over japanese martial arts.

::EDIT by monkeygirl - keep it respectful. EDIT::

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an excellent response Mr Li gave you

-Lao-Tse

Wing Chun
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay im going to try rephrasing this so no one is 'ofended'. Treebranch my dear frind, if you do not know about a martial art then i think the most correct course of action would be to not comment at all. u were very very wrong, but that ur ur fault - u were simply misinformed
anyway you mentioned how styles like wing chun are sused because they look good on film. that is very incorrect. films like flashy moves - high kicks, and long movements etc. wing chun is nothing like that, it revolves around simplicity with the sole purpose of destroying the opponent. jeet kune do maybe because some persons individual expression of jeet kune do may involve flashy moves. wushu yes. please may i every plotely ask where you got this informationt hat wing chun was style made to look good? also haveyoiu done any research on wing chun? and finally have i made you aware of this error.
if you have any queries regarding wing chun please dont hesitate to contact me.

thank you

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the movie Hunted with Benecio Deltoro, and tell me that they are not doing Wing Chun techniques. You've never seen STICKY HANDS used in Movies? I guess I watch a lot of MA movies. Sorry if I offended you, but some MA look better on film than others, doesn't mean they don't work. All I really said if you read what I said closer, was that Martial Arts in films are flowery and would not look like that in a real fight.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the movie The Hunted with Benicio Del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones they used Sayoc Kali, a Filipino Marital Art. It was not Wing Chun.

EDIT::Martial Artist:: I corrected the name of the martial art. It is not Silat Kayoc but Sayoc Kali.::

Last edited by Martial_Artist on Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Wing Chun
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much Martial Artist. Treebranch how do you feel now? as for sticky hands it is a training thing, just like shadow boxing or katas. films may show the main 'hero' or whatever use such well known training methods for effect so people know he is training for a fight. wing chun can only look good to those who are really into simple fast movements. i mean some guy walking up a tight corridor and getting rushed he might use wing chun to very swiftly deal with them. but some wing cun techniques may be used for a second but wing chun primarily??? i dont think so. people liek seeing acrobatic moves and flowery movements that LOOK efficient, whats wrong with that? i like seeing them like that aswell. but trust me wing chun cant be modified to look acrobatic. some can enjoy watching it however but please dont put it in the same category of the arts that are used in films.
thank you.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good response. I wonder if that was from Jet Li himself or from a spokesperson for him.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK my bad I was told wrong, my mistake. I didn't know it was only used for training, no hard feelings I hope.

Tamojin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movies rarely reflect MA's accurately. Praying Mantis in movies is always way off base. The use of the mantis claw is always over- emphasized. In a movie with a kung fu hero the villains are usually Japanese and vice versa. at least in the older chinese ma films. Jet Li is a great man and chinese art advocate - his answer was very good. Bruce Lee seemed to rail against karate because that was the rage of the day i think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think in general, wing chun only looks good to people who wing chun cos we appreciate more the little intricacies.

kinda like the way that the hackers will be happy to see a semi proper hack prgram used in matrix reloaded.

us wing chun guys must have got a kick form the use of bong sau and lau sau and tau sau (from seraph, the only dude in white... as you know, the classic colour of the good guy)

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: