Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the most common Chinese Martial Arts Style used in movies today? What does Wu Ping do?

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

goshinman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: hakko densin ryu jujutsu, shuai chiao, catchwrestling, and some judo/sambo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Jet Li has trained in thai boxing and other hard styles that he uses for more hardcore films. But his speed and power are very functional in realilty. Some say he may be even faster then Bruce Lee was.

http://jujitsu4u.com/
http://www.combatwrestling.com/
http://gokor.com/

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jet Li is awesome.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Prodigal Son
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: wing chun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO Jet Li, as I have said before, is a true martial arts badboy - not just an actor. For those of you who didn't see Fist Of Legend, he employs very direct, nasty techniques throughout the film - lots of late form WC - and gives more than a nod to Brucey's theories by using Western Boxing techniques (including the footwork).

It is probably his best movie, and a must for all collections - although Warners (or Dinsney or one of that lot) have bought the rights to it, re-edited it, deleted scenes (including Jet Li smoking opium) and changed the story to make it more suitable for the American market - as well as their lawyers getting heavy with anyone selling the original Chinese version. Check out www.hkflix.com for info.

And he gave a great answer to the original question !

>>>PS<<<

Hohan-1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito Shuri Te

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Oh boy... Reply with quote

The symbolism in "Fist of Legend" was so straightforward. You have to remember that Li's character goes to japan to study and while there learns many karate principles which he shows to his students when he returns home. In case none of ya' noticed the name of the cat he fought in the field, the one that waxed him, was Funakoshi (speaking of Sonny Chiba). Not a coincidence. The principle of adapting to change is from Matsumura himself (founder of Shuri Te), Asato and Itosu's teacher, Gichin Funakoshi's two instructors. Oh and street fighter sucked and that Japanese Goju stuff is ridiculous, especially the Sanchin "HOOOOOOCCCKKKKTOOOOOOOKKKKKCOFFFF__STROKE" guff!

Now you understand. I wonder if this is why kata and forms are so hard for people to learn. You know, originally proper karate was only for the societal and intellectual elite of Okinawa. At least the tried and true Shuri Te style. If you can't pick up on clues, cues, hints and symbolism in a straightforward movie how will you ever undertsand MAs using your keen powers of observation and intuition. MAs is training in those things above all else.... Comprehending reality is Ki-----ah!

Is anyone on this forum over 21 years of age? Do you all do MMAs or Mc Dojo stuff? Where are the real martial artists? I am so happy to be unique.

Shorin Ryuu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryukyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pleased by Jet Li's response. You see those kind of responses (that many martial arts all have something to offer) from more mature martial arts.

I'm over 21 (21 and 4 months...). I don't do MMA, but I do consider myself a martial artist (I try to be, anyway).

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist of Legend is my favorite MA movie -

specifically because it is an anti bigotry anti style superiority movie.

Jet li - is consistently thoughtful and wise in the resposnes he gives to the public. He was supposed to star in "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" but had promised his wife he would stay with her during her pregnancy. The pregnancy and the shoot conflicted. He still honored his promise though it forced him to miss a chance at taking his career to another level.

One reason wushu is so popular in LA is that it is what many of the top fight choreographers from Hong Kong use to stage their fights. When in Rome do what the Romans do.

Black Dragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master of the Flying Guillotine is another

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one day people will realise that what they see in films is carefully choreographed routines.

the moves might come from any style but that does not mean the actor is good at that style. it doesn't even mean that the actor knows the style.

what it does mean is that the character is supposed to be good at the style and the fight choreographer set up the scene using that style.

and as for whether the style would work or not, you can't tell that from a film.

film=fiction, remember that folks.

ta-taaa!

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: