Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

I-Self
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

equaninimus wrote:
I hate to do this, well, no I don't.... the Shorinkan group is not the Matsubayashi ryu. Shorinkan is Nakazato Shugero's group, and is strictly from the Itosu lineage, whereas Nagamine's Matsubayashi ryu descended from Itosu, Motobu, Arakaki, and (perhaps, though Matsubayashi later admitted he only trained with Kyan's students, not wiht Kyan himself) Kyan. So, if you were doing Kobayashi Shorin ryu, you were not doing Matsubayahi, by definition.

Are you illiterate? What I wrote was I did Shorinkan in S.E. ASIA AND MATSUBAYASHI IN SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS. I was under Shorin Ryu Shorinkan Okinawan Karate-Do founder Shuguro Nakazato. I didn't specify where, but I said I did Kobayashi in Asia and Matsubayashi in the USA. So where did you get that junk from? Don't hate. RIF- Reading Is Fundamental....

Believe me I know the difference and it is huge. One is a very good Shorin Ryuha and the other (Matsubayashi) is the worst of the Shorin Ryuha. IMO. That is that. Don't tell me what I've done or about Shorin Ryu. I've done 3 of its major ryuha.

There is no "Do" without "Jutsu"!

hobo6
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-self,
Unfortunately you had an eperience with an off-shoot of Matsubayashi. While an exceptional kobudo-ka, Ota's kata and kumite left much to be desired. He split from the honbu organization years ago and hardly a tear was shed. In fact, the attitude was more like "don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out!" In the years since, many of Ota's students have defected back to the honbu system. It sounds to me that Ota is doing the McDojo thing. How sad.

I ain't knocking the other styles. Actually, with time (and money) I'd like to delve into them. Unfortunately, there's only shobayashi branch here in NYC (opinions/info on this style?).

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-Self wrote:

Are you illiterate? ... RIF- Reading Is Fundamental....

Illiterate? no. Vastly better mannered than you? Obviously! With your attitude I'm suprised you haev found anyone wiling to teach you. Perhaps you are only rude when at the keyboard, yes?

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morio Higaonna is not the head of the okinawan judokan

I-Self
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: C.I.F. Reply with quote

kotegashiNeo wrote:
Morio Higaonna is not the head of the okinawan judokan

Never said he was. He is the head of Higaonna Goju Ryu. What's up with all the comprehension probs? My post is quite detailed.

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow a jodan mawashi geri at your opponents liver that must have been one tall dude at least compared to you.

I-Self
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

equaninimus wrote:
I-Self wrote:

Are you illiterate? ... RIF- Reading Is Fundamental....

Illiterate? no. Vastly better mannered than you? Obviously! With your attitude I'm suprised you haev found anyone wiling to teach you. Perhaps you are only rude when at the keyboard, yes?

No, I can be really short at times and I can be quite civil unless blamed for something I didn't do or say. In order to avoid such rude comments, you should've made sure you understood what was written before casting blame and condemning my supposed stupidity on the web. Know what I mean? Sorry to be curt. I am a good student and decent teacher, I do know that. I also know what it is I do and the history behind it. I delve and respect the sprirt of the thing, so it will in turn respect me. That's who I am.

Let me ask you something. Why do Wado, Shotokan and Shorin Ryu? If you do Shorin then there is no reason to do patchwork Japanese Karate. Shotokan is new Shorin and Wado is new Shotokan with JJJ principles. With the original striking techs and kata of Seibukan and the tegumi/tutite inherent in Shorin Ryu why do either Japanized style?

Just curious. It seems really odd to someone like me. BTW who is your Seibukan Sensei? My sensei is really good friends with Sensei Hayes. Have you heard of him?

Last edited by I-Self on Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

I-Self
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kotegashiNeo wrote:
wow a jodan mawashi geri at your opponents liver that must have been one tall dude at least compared to you.

Hahahaha! Cool man, I gets it. Peace....

I-Self
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobo6 wrote:
I-self,
Unfortunately you had an eperience with an off-shoot of Matsubayashi. While an exceptional kobudo-ka, Ota's kata and kumite left much to be desired. He split from the honbu organization years ago and hardly a tear was shed. In fact, the attitude was more like "don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out!" In the years since, many of Ota's students have defected back to the honbu system. It sounds to me that Ota is doing the McDojo thing. How sad.

I ain't knocking the other styles. Actually, with time (and money) I'd like to delve into them. Unfortunately, there's only shobayashi branch here in NYC (opinions/info on this style?).

Well, yes and no. Our dojo was originally part of Nagamine's WMKA. Nagamine Shoshin was there for my Brown Belt grading as he was doing a tour of his BEST stateside schools that year. Once we became a part of Ota's org., I was already halfway out of the dojo door.

Shobayashi is a very good system. I have respected every BB practitioner of this system that I've met. It is very sismilar to Kobayashi, whether Shorinkan or Shidokan. I think you'd dig it too. Check out the dojo and the quality of students, sensei, sempai etc., and if all looks cool tell the instructor that you are a Matsubayashi Ryu stylist who is interested in getting a slightly different perspective on things. I bet he'd be delighted to have you.

People, there are superior styles just like there are superior boxing gyms and BJJ schools. Don't be fooled. All karate (and MAs) were not created equal. The closer you are to the source the better the "product". Shuri Ryu (a so-called Okinawan style) is not the same as a real Okinawan system no matter what people might think. You can call a Hyundai a Rolls Royce, but it just ain't the truth. Karate is karate, like cars are cars and universities are universities. Schreiner University in Seguin, Tx is never gonna hold the prestige, name and grade of professors that Harvard does. There is something to be said for things that truly stand the test of time.

It's not about stylistic superiority it's about reality. Oh yeah, the practitoner does matter too, but if you learn Tae Bo and are very athletic don't expect to meet up with a K1 kickboxer in the ring (or on the street), who is athletic AND armed with real skill, and expect to do anything but taste canvas real fast.

Thanks and sorry again for being so blunt.

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do Wado, Shotokan and Shorin Ryu?

Started with Wado, in 1981. Did that until I went into the Army in 1991. When I got to Germany I was unable to find a Wado dojo, so went for what was available: Shotokan. Did that from 1991-2003. When I moved back to Colorado to enter the PhD program in history at CU Boulder, I found the Seibukan dojo run by Sensei Victor Banks. I don't know any Sensei Hayes. I know of a person named Bill Hayes, but I thought he did Okinawa Kempo. We are part of Dan Smith's organization, and directly under the Hombu Dojo and Hanshi Shimabukuro.
As for how I should have "avoided rude comments," I have yet to find a situation where anyone "deserves" rude comments. If your ego is so easily bruised that you find yourself easily offended, then perhaps there are ways you may improve your self worth without wasting time and displaying rudeness. Those who so quickly respond in the manner you did generally have a great deal of personal growth to experience. Have a good evening.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: