Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank you, and you probably knew that stuff anyway. I train with Charles Tatum one pf the people who Kuda stated was truly qualified to teach his style (the other being Greg Ohl and our sensei). Our sensei is Sensei Ron Lindsey. He was president of Yuichi Kuda Shinshii's organization. He would beg to differ with you as would I. I have seen both and although very similar they are also different. Nakamura's teachings did influence some things about Kuda's principles. That is why the style is delineated from the orhtodox karatejutsu taught by Lindsey and a few others.

Still, you may learn things the way I've learned them. I could be wrong. I'd have to train with you to know for sure. Anyway, it is a good style and Kuda's people were always known for their kumite skills. Props.

I had the opportunity to travel to Willow River, Mn and train with Sensei Ohl in (guessing here) 1988 or so, give or take a year. He promoted me to my Nidan. I also was under the same association in which Sensei Lindsey was the head for several years, but quit that association because of the politics that were going on at the time. Sensei Ohl quit at the same time for the same reasons I understand.

I have never worked with Sensei Lindsey, but have great respect for the man and his knowledge. I have several videos he sent me during my time in the association, and the stance length is the same as what I do, which is shorter and more natural than most systems I have seen. One thing to consider with both Sensei Lindsey and Ohl is this. Neither of those men were under Sensei Kuda for a great amount of time. As Sensei Ohl told me, he and Sensei Lindsey were primarily under Sensei Fuse Kise for the majority of their training, and then switched in the mid-80's toi Sensei Kuda because of things that Sensei Kise was doing to Kenshikan. My information is all second hand unfortunatley, but I remember long talks with Sensei Ohl at his dinner table, or over the phone on this subject and the differances between the two systems.

I currently am under Sensei Larry Mason, recently moved to Maryland. If you'd like to check out our associations website, you will find a couple of pictures at the bottom of myself and Sensei Kuda taken in June of 1978 in Havre, Montana during Sensei Kuda's first visit to the United States. I'm the tall, lanky guy..can't miss me! lol

http://www.geocities.com/rohai.geo/page.html

I-Self
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Shorinryu Sensei?]
I had the opportunity to travel to Willow River, Mn and train with Sensei Ohl in (guessing here) 1988 or so, give or take a year. He promoted me to my Nidan. I also was under the same association in which Sensei Lindsey was the head for several years, but quit that association because of the politics that were going on at the time. Sensei Ohl quit at the same time for the same reasons I understand.

I have never worked with Sensei Lindsey, but have great respect for the man and his knowledge. I have several videos he sent me during my time in the association, and the stance length is the same as what I do, which is shorter and more natural than most systems I have seen. One thing to consider with both Sensei Lindsey and Ohl is this. Neither of those men were under Sensei Kuda for a great amount of time. As Sensei Ohl told me, he and Sensei Lindsey were primarily under Sensei Fuse Kise for the majority of their training, and then switched in the mid-80's toi Sensei Kuda because of things that Sensei Kise was doing to Kenshikan. My information is all second hand unfortunatley, but I remember long talks with Sensei Ohl at his dinner table, or over the phone on this subject and the differances between the two systems.

I currently am under Sensei Larry Mason, recently moved to Maryland. If you'd like to check out our associations website, you will find a couple of pictures at the bottom of myself and Sensei Kuda taken in June of 1978 in Havre, Montana during Sensei Kuda's first visit to the United States. I'm the tall, lanky guy..can't miss me! lol

http://www.geocities.com/rohai.geo/page.html[/quote]

Those pics with Kuda sensei are great! Sensei Lindsey also quit Kenshinkan because of the politics. Matsumura Kenpo is very similar, I would agree, but Lindsey will often show us the subtle differences between the two styles. There aren't many.

I would agree that Fusei Kise and Seizan Kinjo were Sensei Lindsey's greatest influences. It's great to know there are others out there who do traditional styles influenced by Hohan Soken's philosophies and methodology.

I do know that during the 70s Kuda's dojo was known for having very effective and proficient fighters. They were really feared when it came to free-sparring.

Sensei Lindsey is a very knowledgable and capable karate-ka. His ability to use karate for real fighting is a thing one must experience for themselves. We are so lucky to have 2 great senseiei to train under.

PS: Lanky is good. Sinew strength seems to be easier to attain and is more prevalent in the lankier types. That reach is definitely and asset and most lanky guys are fast and deceptively strong. Not that I believe in Chi or anything , but when I looked at those pictures I got that "hey, he has good chi" vibe. That includes Sensei Mason and definitely Yuichi Kuda (great "catch kick" photo). Peace and good luck!

There is no "Do" without "Jutsu"!

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Self - Ron Lindsey is your instructor then in Shorin Ryu?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I-Self, keep in mind that those "lanky" pics were taken in 1978..some 25 1/2 years ago, so I'm not quite as lanky as I used to be! lol Then, I was around 210lbs. Now..240.

I'm not in contact with Sensei Ohl any longer, but he and Sensei Knoblett in Seattle told me many storys about Sensei Lindsey and his fighting prowness.

A quick question for you please. Two former students of my origional Sensei (Dennis Miller) are, as I understand it, training uder Sensei Lindsey now and are 6th Dans. They are Steve Kaluza of Montana, and Jack Labbe..formerly of Montana also...but I don't think he's still in this state. Do you know them perhaps?

Possibly we should take this off the forum and use IM..before the admin gets his pantyhose in an uproar! lol

I-Self
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffrogers wrote:
I Self - Ron Lindsey is your instructor then in Shorin Ryu?

Most definitely, and no doubt. Who was/is your Hakutsuru instructor?

There is no "Do" without "Jutsu"!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: