Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RedLynx
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it take me decades to learn the techniques that M/Artists use to dull the pain they feel, like when chopping a board or brick?

"A fool can put on wisdom, but his foolisness will show." -Kurt Dopler

Nunchaku Sticks (chain variety)

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can alwasy go and have the nerves cut.

There is no secret to karate. When you hit stuff it hurts. Pain is something that is differant for each of us. Some take shots better than others. You can condition up to a certin point but pain will alwasy be arround. I tend to find you hurt more if you want to hurt.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People with more endorphins feel less pain, and vice versa. Certain techniques, such as mental imagery (Imagining a situation that is devoid of pain) and meditation may help relieve pain by increasing endorphin and enkephalin levels.

"Endorphin" is a combination of two words ... endogenous and morphine.
It means "morphine within". Endorphins are found in heavy concentrations in the central nervous system. They relieve pain by the same mechanisms as morphine and other narcotics. They inhibit pain by blocking pain impulse transmission within the brain and spinal cord.

These substances explain why different people feel different amounts of pain from the same stimuli. Individual differences in endorphin levels, as well as other factors, such as anxiety, influence pain transmission.

Pain thresholds may be high or low.
People with a lack of interest in conditioning themselves to pain have a low pain threshold and will give in to the pain sooner. People who subject themselves to increasing amounts of pain stimulus are able to condition themselves to resist pain. They are able to withstand pain and push themselves to continue during painful experiences. Other factors affect pain thresholds, such as age, male or female, physical conditioning, emotional state, and attitude.
Factors that may increase pain threshold include anxiety, fear, anger, depression, introversion, sympathy, and analgesics.

Physical conditioning can delay the onset of pain. Physical conditioning, a healthy diet, and proper rest can increase your pain tolerance.
"I am sleeping in late cos' I'm working on my pain tolerance" ... now there's a good one!
Deep relaxation and concentration on a single thought helps neutralize stress.

Pain is a part of life (ask a mother!), pain is a part of martial art training ...

<

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-05 14:29 ]

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pain is not a good thing, that's why you have it. Pain may be a part of martial arts training, but it shouldn't be encouraged.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Crucio
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i mean, punch a sandbag or condensed styrafoam and also do calluse building exercises,

also, i mean dont encourage pain, dont go bang your head up against the wall.

I, in my opinion have a high pain tolerance.

i think its because ive had a lot of it in my 17 years of life

example, 13 teeth pulled, 3 broken ankles, numerous broken fingers, arms, my head, ect

and right now im walking around with a knee i sprained on my trampoline on saturday, a broken hand from an incorrect hit on a board (i slipped ) and a hairline fracture on my stupid shin from sparring.

what helps for me to get the pain away, is to always have a positive attitude, think of something other than my pain like walking and take deep breaths

hope that helped

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucio you better slow down before you kill yourself LOL.

Pain lets us know we are still alive so its a good thing. Only time you don't have pain is when your dead.

"That which don't kill us makes us stronger" Fredrick Nietchkie (spelling)

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also RedLynx the techniques some martial artists use to control pain are not really any different than those that others have learned to use.

Many althletes subconsiously "just deal with it"; or learn to ignore it. Mental imagary is good and used by many. It is amazing to find how many different places and situations imagry can be used in.

RedLynx
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"I, in my opinion have a high pain tolerance."

So do I. At least, that is what the doctors say! I mean, walked around for almost a week with three disaligned ribs before I decided to tell anyone, an even then it really didn't hurt all that much

Athorn4941
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes be careful though ignoring pain. I use to box for 5 years of my life and the ignore pain senaro cause me to now have a back that hurts alot and constant knee problems that bother me all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

RedLynx
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I use to box for 5 years of my life and the ignore pain senaro cause me to now have a back that hurts alot and constant knee problems that bother me all the time."
[/quote]

Man I hear you! But heck I already have leg palsy and Doc says I may end up with arthritis in my mid-twenties because of it.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: