Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In breaking you have the opportunity and the obligation to strike an exact spot. It would be stupid to kick an opponent in the thigh and expect his knee to break. You have to focus your strike exactly on the pressure point.
As a fighter in a self defense situation you must learn where to strike your target. If you don't hit the right spot on your target, you will be very aware of it. It simply will not break. Practising this type of controlled kicking will help you develop focus .... this being really the "side effect" as you put it of breaking because "power" is what you incorporate into your break.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many injuries are caused by people not quite hitting that exact point?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that breaking can be risky and should be approached with caution, nobody is forcing people to do this. They can leave at any time or refuse to do it if they feel uneasy.

I think as long as the students are kept informed of the risk, it's their choice whether or not they want to do it.

As for how many injuries, how many injuries are caused by inadequate self-defense instruction? (See "Victim of a McDojo" thread)
Breaking can be just as important, as KickChick has said.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great discussion. But must of it is going in a cirlce, especially on breaking boards. Breaking demonstration are awesome, showing sheer power. But can breaking boards develope power? It can, in some ways. If I can break one board, I can break two, if I can break two, I can break three, and so on. However, breaking is all in technique. Mr. "I can bench 400lbs" can't break nothing if he doesn't know the proper way to break it.

Monkeygirl, I'm not sure your mom can leg press 700lbs. A woman's body isn't built to have big muscle and lift that much. Sure women can have big muscle, like those muscle women who compete on TV, but you have to specifically train for it for years. I'm not saying your mom can't or can, just hard to believe. And I'm not saying you shouldn't wieght train. Women do some kind of wieght training to tone thier muscles. I know a girl whom plays softball at my college who does some wieght training. She has a nice figure, and I like looking at her.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bear in mind [CT]pizzaboy women possess about 40% to 60% of the upper-body strength and 70% to 75% of the lower-body strength of men ... and women are able to use a greater portion of stored elastic energy than men during activities in which muscle is prestretched, such as in the countermovement prior to jumping.
Women who have higher testosterone levels may have a greater potential for strength and power development than other women. An individual woman's testosterone level fluctuates, so a woman who is near the upper limit of her testosterone threshold may have an advantage in developing strength compared with other women.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that so long as students (and in the case of children the parents) are kept informed of the risk it should be their decision, at least in theory. Peer pressure unfortunately comes into it, as in so many other things.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-04 13:58, KickChick wrote:
In breaking you have the opportunity and the obligation to strike an exact spot. It would be stupid to kick an opponent in the thigh and expect his knee to break. You have to focus your strike exactly on the pressure point.
As a fighter in a self defense situation you must learn where to strike your target. If you don't hit the right spot on your target, you will be very aware of it. It simply will not break. Practising this type of controlled kicking will help you develop focus .... this being really the "side effect" as you put it of breaking because "power" is what you incorporate into your break.

Gotta disagree with you here. Hitting the right target comes from being hit there and feeling it, or hitting someone else and seeing the effect the strike has. Breaking a board doesn't show you where to hit someone, only sparring can achieve this. You would never fully appreciate a target area until you have been hit there yourself and felt the pain, that's when you know where to strike and how painful it is. Everyone knows you can knock someone out if you hit them on the jaw, then most people know a kick into the thigh hurts. The people that have been hit there the most appreciate it a lot more than people who just 'know' ..

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..Hey Bon! .... at least you read all of my post this time
Well, we are coming from 2 different disciplines of martial arts ... in my particular practice of TKD, students are not able to use full power when practicing against an opponent in sparring.
In our sparring, techniques are controlled to not injure the opponent. In target or bag work, the techniques are controlled but there is little indication of the amount of control. In breaking, control must be used to break the object without striking a board holder or the floor under the object. Together, sparring, target/bag work, and breaking teach the precise control needed and the needed power to execute in order to respond to any self-defense situation.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-06 07:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-06 07:39 ]

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of couse my sparring was controlled... I could still walk the next day, even if only just =) Nah, I always wanted to go hard, so my instructor would hit me back hard as anyone would. You mentioned a quote before that sums it up nicely, pain is the best teacher, but no one wants to go to his class.

That's what the gloves and shin pads are for I reckon, you can go full power without injuring the other person and the shots that get in hurt enough to make you realise your mistake. They have that, as well as the added benefit of getting your timing and combos going nicely since they're big and hard to get in a gap unless you open it up, or it's right open for you.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: