Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 15, I know I'm still young. However, I am close to testing for my blackbelt, in say 6 months. My problem is this: I have little to no power. I don't think it's even a problem of utilizing my power, because I can kick harder now than when I started. I think the problem is that I'm 5'2 and weigh 98 pounds. (my "colleagues" make fun of me saying that the weight of any object in the world can be determined by taking my weight and doubling it ) It's somewhat embarassing when a 10 year old has more power than I do.
So here's my basic goal: To gain more power! I don't expect to gain a significant amount by my blackbelt test, but if I should pass, what kind of blackbelt would I be if I were relatively weak? My mom says "The only way she'll gain power is when she has kids" ...NOT something I plan on doing soon.
Getting to the point:

What do I need to do to gain power? Weight training is sort of out of the question. I can't join the gym until I'm 16, and I'd probably have to wait longer anyway.....for my underdeveloped bones so they don't....snap.
I don't want steroids or any of that junk.

Can anyone PLEASE help me???

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, "strength training" (a systematic program of exercises designed to increase your ability to exert or resist force) can be safe and most effective for someone of your age (teens). Contrary to the belief that it is dangerous or leads to bone plate disturbances it has been discovered that if properly designed and supervised it is safe and improves musculoskeletal strength, motor skills and even decreases the incidence of some sport related injuries by increasing the strength of tendons ligaments and bones. Of course, adult training guidelines and training philosophies are diff for you guys since you are still anatomically less mature.

Teen training programs may consist of use of equipment, rubber tubing or free weights.
One to 3 sets of 6-15 reps performed 203 times of week on nonconsecutive days is a reasonable level . You should begin with 1 set of several upper and lower body exercises that focus on all your major muscle groups. Gradually increase weight and number of sets and reps as it gets easier.
Training with the maximum weight is not recommended for teens as there is a potential for injury relating to the growth plates (long bones) and back. You must be shown proper technique and directed to the proper weight to start lifting.

I would also look into cardio kickbox classes in your area. You should combine this strength program with one that includes endurance, flexibility and agility exercises.
I teach a class and do have a number of girls your age that take it and love it! Make sure you find one that uses a heavy bag/wavemaster otherwise its just an aerobic kicking class.
My daughter is your age and I am trying to get her to workout more. She is actually stronger and more powerful than me. She started TKD at 5, took gymnastics and played lots of sports. She is a blackbelt too .... so I have no doubt that you will succeed also!!
Let me know if I can help you out in any way. I'd be more than happy too!

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read all of KickChick's post, it's 2:37am, but maybe plyometric exercises will help.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-01 08:37, KickChick wrote:
reps performed 203 times of week

203 times! Sounds like a challenge.

In seriousness, Kickchick has just about summed it up. Six months is enough time to increase a deal of power, not amazingly but still respectably.

Also, a good way to increase power is to practice on a heavy bag. You get used to striking something effectively and using your body to the maximun effect possible to generate the most power in your strikes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow KickChick! Thanks for that awesome reply. I assume by 203 times you meant 2-3 times.... (prays)
My school actually offers a cardio kickboxing class, but you have to be 16.

Once school lets out, I have a training program in mind. Get up at 6, do every kata, ton of pushups, situps etc.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey monkeygirl, if you look at the Navy SEALs thread you should see a similar programme to that you may find useful. However that sort of training will be improving your strength endurance and not necessarily your power. Strength and speed would be the most useful for power in strikes I would imagine, which would involve weight training and pylometric exercises.

Do you have a bag at home you can practice on?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!!! no that was clearly a typo guys! 2-3 (that "0" is too close to the dash!)
I just had nail tips put on and not used to typing with them!!
Hey Bon I am going to get a complex if ya keep skimming like ya been doing!

We have kids cardio at our school and just recently (if mature enough) will let teens into the adult classes. I would see if you can get in ... I really don't see why not if you teach there ... and actually we advise all of our students who are going for black soon to attend at least one class a week to work on their endurance and strength. You're gonna need it baby!!!!!
We started the kids class because there clearly was a need for it ... kids aren't getting enough exercise and we have quite a few kids with weight problems attending.
Yes, the heavy bag offers resistance training together with the cardio ... that is why I suggested a cardio kickbox class with bag work.
Good call Jack!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-01 14:50 ]

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough one. I would recommend you to weight train but you are a girl. I dont' know what to say. However here are some advice. Power comes form proper technigue. How are your kicks? Are your kicks controled and have a snap to it, or do they flob around like spagetti noodles. And you can't just kick the air and hope to develope power, you must kick something. Try your little brother, or if you don't have access to one, buy a heavy bag, a used one is preferred.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy bags tend not to cry and get your mum to send you to bed without dinner.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it ! (mum) Love the English!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: