Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Ground fighting in Silat. Reply with quote

UseoForce wrote:
lol, any art that teaches biting is OK by me!

It's the little things in life that make you smile, isn't it?

jeff5
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry digging up an old post!

There are hundreds of different styles of Silat. It orginated in Indonesia, but you find it in Malaysia, and in the Phillipines, especially the southern portion.

The ground fighting you'll see is not like typical BJJ or Wrestling. Silat is mostly an armed system, and they assume that their opponent has one or more knives. So even in Harimau which focuses a lot on ground work, the work that's done is mostly getting yourself in a superior position and incapacitating your oponent. There is very little wrestling/grappling as we understand it in western cultural, mainly due to the reason above.

Some styles of Silat can look a bit impractical and flowery. The styles that I've been exposed to however are extremely strait forward, combat orientated, and quite nasty. (Mostly Serak/Bukti Negara and Maphilindo/Majapahit)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff5 wrote:
Sorry digging up an old post!

There are hundreds of different styles of Silat. It orginated in Indonesia, but you find it in Malaysia, and in the Phillipines, especially the southern portion.

The ground fighting you'll see is not like typical BJJ or Wrestling. Silat is mostly an armed system, and they assume that their opponent has one or more knives. So even in Harimau which focuses a lot on ground work, the work that's done is mostly getting yourself in a superior position and incapacitating your oponent. There is very little wrestling/grappling as we understand it in western cultural, mainly due to the reason above.

Some styles of Silat can look a bit impractical and flowery. The styles that I've been exposed to however are extremely strait forward, combat orientated, and quite nasty. (Mostly Serak/Bukti Negara and Maphilindo/Majapahit)

Nice post. I don't know why, but I have always found interest in the Indonesian/Phillipene styles. Especially the stick fighting styles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: