Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another factor in this is correct mechanics. They've got the mechanics refined for the technique. Mechanics are everything. Mechanics are why a 150 lb person can punch harder than a solid 250 lb. person who's never thrown a proper punch. It's even more apparent in kicking.

How do you improve your mechanics? Practice. There's no substitute for hard work. How do you know how to correct your mechanics? A good teacher to see the faults and tell you how to correct them. How do you implement those corrections? Practice.

Without an expert eye watching and giving feedback, you can only go so far. It's the same with all aspects of MA. Same thing as "why am I constantly getting hit?" You need an expert eye watching and giving corrections. You implement those corrections by practicing.

It sure ain't easy. Furthermore, an instructor can tell you how to correct pretty much anything. It's on the student to listen and practice what's being taught. The old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" echoes in my head all day at work - I'm a school teacher.

To bring it full circle - why do your teacher and the senior students look like they've got full control of everything they've doing? Easy: years of practice.

Edit: I feel like Allen Iverson in his famous "practice?" press conference.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Another factor in this is correct mechanics. They've got the mechanics refined for the technique. Mechanics are everything. Mechanics are why a 150 lb person can punch harder than a solid 250 lb. person who's never thrown a proper punch. It's even more apparent in kicking.

How do you improve your mechanics? Practice. There's no substitute for hard work. How do you know how to correct your mechanics? A good teacher to see the faults and tell you how to correct them. How do you implement those corrections? Practice.

Without an expert eye watching and giving feedback, you can only go so far. It's the same with all aspects of MA. Same thing as "why am I constantly getting hit?" You need an expert eye watching and giving corrections. You implement those corrections by practicing.

It sure ain't easy. Furthermore, an instructor can tell you how to correct pretty much anything. It's on the student to listen and practice what's being taught. The old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" echoes in my head all day at work - I'm a school teacher.

To bring it full circle - why do your teacher and the senior students look like they've got full control of everything they've doing? Easy: years of practice.

Edit: I feel like Allen Iverson in his famous "practice?" press conference.

Thanks for the great advice JR 137, I am currently reading more about mechanics & I have very good instructor, so I guess I am lucky! I expect that everything needs practice & I am ready for that.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Chinese martial arts there are two main types of punches Yin punches and Yang punches.

The Yang punch is similar to hard style karate punches that relies on mostly muscle and the rebound force from the ground whereas the Yin punch relies on tendon stretching and a minimum amount of muscle without the rebound force from the ground.

Therfor a Yin punch has more distance from the opponent than a Yang punch does.

If a Yang type punch connects with the opponent then if the opponent moves back slightly then the second punch will be a Yin punch and still hit the target; so if two Yang punches are used and the first connects and the opponent moves back then the second Yang punch will not connect.

If my Yin punch connects and the opponent moves back my second Yin punch will hit the target.

Ask yourself this question, when breaking boards.
If the person holding the board thrusts it towards you just before you punch, what will happen?

Chances are you will damage your hand, would be the correct answer.

Same applies to kicking; you will most likely bounce backwards.

What if the person is holding the board for you and you punch it and the person holding the board doesn't move but instead is putting pressure on the board to snap it them self, then chances are it is almost about to break and all you are doing is putting the finishing touch on it.

Magicians don't usually reveal there tricks, there are tricks in martial arts, if you don't know them then your chances or winning a fight will diminish considerably.

Intelligent fighters win fights with the help of even more intelligent advisors.

Distance and timing and Yin Yang punching is the key.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Distance and timing and Yin Yang punching is the key.

Thanks Alan, I am not familiar with Chinese MA so it's first time for me to hear about Yin Yang punches but it's worth more reading about it.
Distance & timing are important factors indeed & at this stage I am trying to know myself & adjust distance and timing accordingly.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A boxing jab is near enough to be a Yin punch and a karate reverse punch is type of Yang punch.

Loose Yin punches: Mohamed Ali was great at throwing a Yin type jab, as he threw his body forward, as if his jab hand was pulled and his body followed. It's the same principle when throwing a baseball. Balance and stability isn't needed or a definitive factor.

Solid Yang Punch: This type of punch is a typical reverse punch in Karate. Used for breaking pine boards for instance. As the initial contact when breaking boards, is the first two knuckles on the thumb side, as the energy runs through the arm down the body to the ground and the energy bounces back through the body in to the target and breaking the board.

Ligaments are locked in each joint with solid Yang punches and the opposite is true with Yin punches that all ligaments are momentarily stretched giving more reach, increasing range of motion thefore adding to the velocity of the punch.

Yin punches are similar to a bullet fired from a gun, with close range and long range it doesn't have a great effect on stopping the bullet's impact.

Yang punches need to be loaded with the arm first pulled back then released forward, Yin punches are not reliant on loading up, but are reliant on lunging forward and reaching the target followed up with momentum and body weight, similar to the movement of a snake.

A Yin punch can be accomplished when jumping with both feet in the air, which is not possible in a Yang punch due to no contact with the floor or ground.

Personally I'm not a great fan of MMA but when I see a fighter that understands the principles of Yin Yang punching and his opponent doesn't, I automatically know which one is going to get knocked out first be fore it happens.
DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU; KNOW YOUR YIN'S and YANG'S OF PUNCHING!

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
KNOW YOUR YIN'S and YANG'S OF PUNCHING!

For sure I will

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more tips on Yin Yang punching.

Stepping needs to be added to this equation, for instance if the opponent has a longer reach than me then I will need to double up on my stepping when attacking and defending.

If the opponent is a little longer in reach than me then his Yang punch equals my Yin punch. Yet my Yin punch will be quicker than his Yang punch.

If the opponent is close enough I will strike first with a Yang much then follow up with a Yin punch.

The Tri grams from I Ching and Bagua, will help with the variations available and how they change and connect. Very profound stuff considered esoteric.

Any questions, I will be happy to do my best to answer them.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Any questions, I will be happy to do my best to answer them.

Thanks Alan. Once I start reading about it, for sure I will have lots of questions to ask !

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not only controlling one's own power but is possible to also at times to control the opponent's power also, by bouncing their power back or absorbing it.

An opponent kicks using the back leg in a front kick. If I can intercept it half way before it reaches me with my chest, the opponent will bounce backwards.

Also if the opponent kicks me with the same front kick from the rear leg and I move backward at the same time synchronize with the kick, it will not do any damage.

But if I stand there at exactly the right distance for the opponent to do maximum damage to me, then they have 100% power and it is going to hurt.

Bounce Deflect Absorb are the best options to control the power. This is very basic but important theory, it can become very complicated from here on.

Last edited by Alan Armstrong on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
It's not only controlling one's own power but is possible to also at times to control the opponent's power also, by bouncing their power back or absorbing it.

An opponent kicks using the back leg in a front kick. If I can intercept it half way before it reaches me with my chest, the opponent will bounce backwards.

Also if the opponent kicks me with the same front kick from the rear leg and I move backward at the same time synchronize with the kick, it will not do any damage.

But if I stand there at exactly the right distance for the opponent to do maximum damage to me, then they have 100% power and it is going to hurt.

Bounce Deflect Absorb are the best options to control the power.

That's a good point to consider as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: