Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rising Soldier
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: SHOTOKAN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: How do you roll properly and do certain techniques? Reply with quote

How Do you do a roll... I still cant get it, and im afraid to twist my neck or sumething... every time i try it seems to go into a side roll.. lol

Also... i've been told that i hesitate alot when i spar.. How do I overcome this.. IT's not intimidation because I could really care-less

Anyone know any good fake moves? only one I'm REALLY good at is the one that you make as if you were throwing a front kick and then convert it to a round-house...

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of roll do you mean? Like a forward/backward roll, or rolling to the side? (IE out of the way after you've been thrown or otherwise taken down) Also, do you mean a roll starting on the ground, or starting from standing up?

If you want to overcome hesitation you could try being more agressive. I find it's much easier to spar against people you don't know, or people who you know and don't like. If it's against someone I know and am somewhat fond of, I find I'm somewhat reluctant to do any attack that might hurt them.

Rising Soldier
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well any roll really? as long as i get the main concept of it... When i roll, i only tend too do a side roll, yet this isn't what i want to do. More like a forward or back roll... like when sitting down... or standing...

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, basically you just curl yourself up into a more or less fetal position and give yourself a boost. Technically speaking only the part that's touching the groun needs to be curved so you can go for the cooler looking leaping rolls and stuff once you get more practice. If you put your hands on the ground when you do it you can do it easier, though with practice you won't need your arms to do it forward. Because you can't curl your head to meet the back of your neck like you would ideally, generally you will have to use your hands to roll backwards anyways.

I'm not sure what you mean by a side roll, unless you mean like rolling forwards and falling over sideways part-way through, in which case you probrably just aren't going fast enough.

Unless of course by rolling you mean like laying flat like a hot dog and rolling away that way..

Rising Soldier
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT's kinda weired, i tend to for example: a front roll, which starts out fine but ends up not going all the way thus im rolling on my shoulders and do end up straight but i dind't do a full roll... kinda hard to expalin

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be just that you aren't rolling fast enough.. I think if you go faster it makes you more stable, kind of like a motorcycle, you should stay upright if you go fast enoough. On the other hand, it's quite possible that you are going fast enough and there's something else the matter, it's certainately hard to say over the internet.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is easily explainable, but here it goes. Here's how we train our students to do a front roll.

Start by kneeling on your left knee, right foot flat on the ground in front of you.

Put your right arm down inside your right thigh, rotate your hand counter-clockwise (so your thumb points toward your heel) and grab under your right foot.

lean forward, so that your right knee now touches the ground, and use your left leg to push yourself straight over you right shoulder. As you push, you should roll along your right arm first, then over your shoulder, then come back up in the same position you started, without letting go of your foot.

After you've got control of going straight forward, by pushing yourself that way with your left leg, start from a standing position, and folow the steps above.

Once you're comfortable with that, eliminate touching your knees on the ground, but do the rest.

Finally, don't grab your foot. Lean forward, with your arm in the same twisted position but your palm just out in front of you, and roll down your arm, over your shoulder, and come back up to standing.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.

Rich
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok stand in front stance keeping weight centred and knees bent. Bend knees to bring you right down. Place forward hand palm down at 90 degrees to direction you wish to roll (altering this position as you advance helps to gain control of multi direction rolls). lower yourself, pushing off the legs slighlty forward and roll down front arm over forward shoulder and OPPOSITE hip- tuck legs in tight as you roll. keep butt down-dont let it rise. your head will naturally tuck in slightly to the oposite side to lead arm as you start the roll. sounds like you are overbalancing to one side which could occur from pushing too hard off back leg and twisting slightly as you go down or twisting body too far as you go into roll. keep eyes focussed forward (as you go down and into roll) on a spot on the wall ahead, eyes come off momentarily as you go over then snap them back onto that spot (you go where your intention goes)

HTH

Rich

swooshfinn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss falling and rolling!

I was one of the only ones at my original school to actually do rolls and falls without the mats
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember one of the most important things about the foward roll.....
Chin to chest as you roll over, this will help prevent injury to your neck.
Use your arms in the same position as if you were going to dive only curve them and roll with them, this also allows greater protection of the neck.
For a side roll it is similar only you keep the arm of the leading side close to the side of your head as opposed to the front.

Always keep that head tucked, the neck is not somthing you want to injure. I would reccomend asking one of your teachers to help you do it properly before practicing on your own. I've personally seen a child twist his neck while doing an improper front roll, fortunately he only sprained his neck and it was not serious. So I am just a little paranoid about rolling
if someone is not experienced, The same with break falls. If someone has not been trained on how to fall properly they should not be swept or thrown.
Enough ranting from a paranoid father...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: