Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

j0rge
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan - Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: I am a Shotokan Shodan, but im starting kyokushin kai.... Reply with quote

Hi i´ve training Shotokan since 1990, since i move to another city i coulnd´t keep on trinning because there was no Shotokan Dojos around.

But there where a few of kyokushin Kai Karate , Im trinning that style since then. So here are a few questions:

- Do I have to start all over from white belt?
- Is there a real diference in the techniques? (couldnt se any)
- Is wrong for my original style to change to another?

Thank you...

OSSU....

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to start over and begin from white belt in the new style?
All depends on your new dojo and Sensei. Ask him to see what his policy is. In my opinion you should start at white belt again out of respect with the possibility of moving up the ranks faster because of your pass experience. Bottom line - Ask your Sensei.

Is there a difference in techniques? I'm sure you will notice some as the training progresses but if I reme,ber correctly kyokushin was developed by Oyama who had trained in Goju and Shotokan as well as other Martial Arts. He wanted to develop a style that improved on these styles for a well rounded style. I believe that kyokushin is more full contact then other styles can be.

Is it wrong to change styles? Heck no. Crosstraining is great with many styles complmenting each other. Look at all the styles that Oyama himself has studied. Never forget your roots but expanded ones knowledge in my opinion is never wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Do I have to start all over from white belt?

That would depend on your instructor. Though I'd imagine if you did you would rapidly excel through the ranks. Then again, you may be able to retain rank...are you BB in Shotokan? Sometimes there is more leaway with Dan ranks

- Is there a real diference in the techniques? (couldnt se any)

Sorry, I've only taken a handful of Shotokan and Kyokushin --- couldn't tell you!

- Is wrong for my original style to change to another?

No way! Nothing wrong with expanding your horizons. You'll notice most people here study at least 2 MAs if not more!

Best of luck to you....let us know how it turns out.

j0rge
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan - Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank, you´ve been very helpful....Ossu.
Just as it is the clear mirror that reflects without distortion, or the quiet valley that echoes a sound, so must one who would study Karate-do purge himself of selfish and evil thoughts, for only with a clear mind and conscience can he understand that which he receives

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there are a number of differences. While Oyama did study goju and shotokan, he modified his system quite a bit. In kyokushin, their delivery of the roundhouse kick is different. they also have no pads and full contact sparring from the start. They clinch and knee a lot also. There training methods are very intense. As I have fought in about 75 sabaki/kyokushin style matches, I can give you more details. Feel free to email me at ichibushi@hotmail.com

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to move this to the Karate forum.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Karate, judo and jujitsu.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll love kyokushin. It's a different style for sure, but many things are similar. In my dojo we are influanced by full contact karate but stick to our shotokan syllabus. I say go for it, even if they make you wear white, it won't be for long.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your training in Kyokushinkai! I'm sure you'll really like it. As for wearing a white belt again... you'd have to ask your instructor about that. He may want you to start from white, or give you a higher grade or may even let you wear your black belt.
Kyokushin is different from Shotokan but IMO it's a good thing to train in other styles. It can only help your martial arts to get better.

Sheffield Steelers!

EvilTed
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: World Oyama Karate San Francisco under Sensei Seito. 2cnd Kyu.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two Shotokan shodan's in our World Oyama dojo.
Both started at white belt again.
The only style my sensei allowed to keep his black belt is a Kyokushin shodan from Poland.

Is there a difference in styles?

Only about as much as there is between dance classes and Special Forces unarmed combat

Osu!

ET

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a difference in styles?

Only about as much as there is between dance classes and Special Forces unarmed combat

That's pretty funny. Good joke there, tedster.
Seriously, are you finished with the "my style is better than your style" rhetoric yet, or are you going to continue?

There are big differences in execution of basic technique between Shoto and the Oyama styles. In addition, Oyama style karate is very much "kick and punch, tough guy" oriented, so if you don't mind that sort of environment you should do fine.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: