Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

YoungGrasshopper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But would Aikido work as a good DEFENSIVE tactic in a MMA competition situation?

superfighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, muay tai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since allot of time in the ufc is spent on the ground i still think its more beneficial to learn judo, as its more of an attacking grappling art than aikido

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YoungGrasshopper wrote:
But would Aikido work as a good DEFENSIVE tactic in a MMA competition situation?

No, Aikido is the type of stlye that works against drunks or untrained people. Not a trained fighter trying to knock your head off your sholders or ground and pound you to a bloody mess.

TURBO7
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: my style

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS wrote:
YoungGrasshopper wrote:

No, Aikido is the type of stlye that works against drunks or untrained people. Not a trained fighter trying to knock your head off your sholders or ground and pound you to a bloody mess.

...that doesn't apply to all aikido ppl. Have you seen those aikido masters??

Anyone have a suggestion on which AIkido I should choose?

YoungGrasshopper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, well I've made my decision thanks to you guys . I've decided upon practicing "Judo" to blend in with my striking abilities. w00t.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS wrote:
Quote:

You couldn't be more wrong. Aikido is not for fighting, it's for defending. Defending means to survive, not to win. If a trained fighter attacked an Aikido Master like Furuya he would find himself on the ground in pain or standing alone with no one to fight. There would be no way for the so called trained fighter to know what he's up against, unless he walked into a school and picked a fight. So basically there would be no fight. Aikido in a sense is a MA for people who don't believe in fighting. Also, depending on what type of trained fighter you are talking about. Aikido Masters are experts with certain Budo weapons and can use objects in much the same way, any object as a weapon efficiently. I wouldn't advise attacking a well trained Aikidoka. Don't be so sure about what you say. Your over confidence can be your downfall. Just some friendly advice from a fellow MA enthusiast.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

TURBO7
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: my style

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treebranch wrote:
TJS wrote:
Quote:

You couldn't be more wrong. Aikido is not for fighting, it's for defending. Defending means to survive, not to win. If a trained fighter attacked an Aikido Master like Furuya he would find himself on the ground in pain or standing alone with no one to fight. There would be no way for the so called trained fighter to know what he's up against, unless he walked into a school and picked a fight. So basically there would be no fight. Aikido in a sense is a MA for people who don't believe in fighting. Also, depending on what type of trained fighter you are talking about. Aikido Masters are experts with certain Budo weapons and can use objects in much the same way, any object as a weapon efficiently. I wouldn't advise attacking a well trained Aikidoka. Don't be so sure about what you say. Your over confidence can be your downfall. Just some friendly advice from a fellow MA enthusiast.

I totally agree with ya.

I have seen this aikidoka "action" and just cause they don't have comps or anything where ppl do aikido, or a aikido comp, don't knock it till you've physicaly tried to hurt a grand master aikidoka. Good luck on that though....

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with Aikido as I see it is the practitioners and the training methods.
The few Aikido classes I've seen or participated in have been full of "hippys" and people trying to use their "ki". I showed one of these people an interview in a magazine with a 7th dan aikido master who basically said (I'm paraphrasing) "It's all about technique and Ki is not a substitute for technique" and the guy I showed the article to was not impressed.
The old guys who trained in Aikido with Ueshiba, especially when he was developing his art, used to train really hard and had developed a lot of their attributes from their training in other styles. The people who train these days (from my limited experience) don't seem to want to train that hard.
My other main gripe is the training methods, although this goes hand-in-hand with the people training as the training seems to be too soft and too co-operative. There doesn't seem to be any competitive aspect or resistance to the training. The most important aspect of an art is the set-ups. You can have the best punches, kicks or wrist-locks in the world, but if you don't have the set-ups you'll never land or apply those techniques. To get good set-ups you need to practise against a resisting opponent and see what they do to avoid your techniques, then work out your counters, or, see what they throw at you and work out your counters. If the person isn't trying to knock your head off, or defend themselves whilst you're trying to apply your techniques, then anything you do is just theory.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aikido is not for fighting, it's for defending

In a Fight if one person only attacks and the other only defends it's obvious who the winner will be.

Quote:
If a trained fighter attacked an Aikido Master like Furuya he would find himself on the ground in pain

Cool Tell him to go win ADCC ulimited divison and prove it.

I have never seen an example of an Aikido practicioner showing it;s effectiveness against a trained fighter. im not saying it's impossible but i will remain a bit skeptical especially considering the countless storys i have heard about aikido guys getting pounded on by various People.

there are alsotwo former aikido practicioners at my school and both of them agree it's really not practical in a real fight.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the point entirely TJS. Aikidoka don't need to prove anything to anyone, they don't claim to be the biggest and baddest. Have one of the those guys attack a Grand Master and see what happens. Former Aikido practitioners aren't Masters of it, are they. I say if you survive an attack, you are the winner. Staying alive is more important then winning. Wouldn't you agree?

"Lock em out or Knock em out"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: