Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: isshin-ryu, hopefully soon to study boken-do

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: karate and jujitsu (plus a fashion statment) Reply with quote

im thinking about taking jujitsu sometime in the distant future, after ive gotten somewere in my current stlle. i was wondering, how would jujitsu compliment isshinryu karate?

oh yea. allow me a moment of complete inmaturity to compliment all you jujitsu and judo students out there on something ive always admired...: Hakama pants are cool! OMG i have to have some of those things! it makes me so mad that id have absolutely no use for them other than to put them on with my gi top, look in the mirror and say "Dude, i rock!" (see why i dont have a girlfriend? )

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had Hakama pants when I took judo, nor do any of our jujitsu students wear Hakama, but I know a number of karateka that have them for when they do weapons in tournaments. They do look rather sharp.

Anyway, to answer your question about jujitsu/judo and Isshinryu. I think you will find it complimentary. With Goju, I've noticed both the jujitsu and judo help to open my eyes, especially when reviewing for higher level meaning.

-Lao-Tse

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude....no way....are you saying i could get the hakama pants and use them with bo/sai/tnfa???? sweet!!! i also plan on taking sword someday, so i guess either way they come in handy.

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some clubs have a certain belt level (often yudansha/black belt holder) before you are allowed to wear the hakama, so check with your Sensei.

-Lao-Tse

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never seen anyone were that at my dojo, but they might. think ill ask a little later, like after i actually start learning a weapon. which reminds me if we learn bo sai and tonfa which do you think he will teach first? im thinking tonfa, because almost everyone in that class is way higher level than me and i never see them pick one up which makes me think they learned it much earlier on. then again that could be deslixic reasoning couldnt it? it could be bo, sai, and tonfa is for the highly afvanced. no...no wait , oh i dont know! which one do you think will be first? god i hope its sai, i love sai's! im finnaly geeting some for my birthday!

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea, wouldnt the hakama pants interfer with kicks?

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having never worn hakama pants I can't comment on whether they interfere with kicks or not. I suspect it would take some getting used to, though.

As for the other....my guess would be the bo, but it would say in your manual if it lists requirements for each belt level.

-Lao-Tse

yoriki816
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shodan Yoseikan Aikido, Shodan Goshin Jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireka wrote:
oh yea, wouldnt the hakama pants interfer with kicks?

Yes a hakama will definately interfere with and kicks you want to do.

A bit of history on the hakama. The hakama are usually used only when doing Aikido, Kenjutsu, and Iaido. The main reason for wearing the hakama(other than just looking cool) is to help hide footwork. By obscuring the movement of the feet, the different styles of kenjutsu, iaido, and aikido were better able to keep rival schools from deciphering the secrets of their techniques. Since footwork is everything in Aikido especially it makes really good sense.

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i read about that. it sounds like a great idea and it works to! they can almost walk entirely behind you before you notice there feet moving, guess that why you only see them in black to (but why would i want them in any other color) oh, and again for reenforcements sake, lets not forget the other very important reason we wear hakama's....THEY LOOK SO COOL!!!!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested in making a hakama here is a link to a site with information.

http://www.round-earth.com/patterns.html
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: