Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingertip pushups generally aren't damaging, just difficult. Chickenwrists can be incredibly damaging, I've seen two students in other schools sprain their wrists while doing them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not especially helpful for the dojo but one can get little stand-things to do press-ups on which give you the grip of a knuckle press-up but without the actual pressure on the knuckles. If I knew how to put pictures onto this message I'd find a picture of them but I don't!

Okay if you go to the following site http://www.argos.co.uk and put in product code 300/3327 you will see what I mean! I am sure any exercise shop will have similar but I know there is a picture on this site!

Personally I wouldn't do knuckle press-ups even if I could! It is FAR too much pressure on too small an area of the body - like an elephant wearing stiletto shoes! Remember pressure = force/area so the whole weight of your body is split between the two soles of your feet and the few cm^2 contact area between your knuckles and the hard floor. When you were performing these on carpet there was more area in contact as well as the cushioning, which spread the load a bit. As you do a job where manual dexterity is crucial you would be mad to continue knuckle press-ups on hard surfaces. If you want to toughen up the knuckles a bit, try punching into sand or something or at least use a padded, well-sprung makiwara!

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our dojo we do some knuckle pushups, but it's usually only adult blackbelts. It's not a good idea for kids to do them because their wrists aren't strong enough.
I would suggest doing maybe half of your pushups on your knuckles as a nice compromise to save your typing, if you want to do both.
Anyway, I don't see where they do anything other than hurt your thumbs.

What does anyone think of doing pushups on two fingers? If any of us can

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-11 09:21, Bitseach wrote:

Okay if you go to the following site http://www.argos.co.uk and put in product code 300/3327 you will see what I mean! I am sure any exercise shop will have similar but I know there is a picture on this site!

Yeah, I bought a pair of those from argos, they're great! They also allow a greater range of motion than pushups on the floor, which is great.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True! But without over stretching the shoulder joints. Handy wee things! Not at all dear either.

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen those at sporting goods stores and almost picked them up several times, but I figured I might as well wait to see if I ever evolve into the type of karateka who would actually do pushups at home on purpose. Right now, that's just not going to happen.

I've been limiting it to 10 or so knuckle pushups per practice, and do the rest on palms or sometimes fingertips. My sensei says it's not just for knucle conditioning, but that it also trains the correct position for punching.

Monkeygirl, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're doing knuckle pushups properly you should not be hurting your thumbs?? All the weight should be on the front 2 knuckles, the thumbs shouldn't even be touching the ground.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-11 11:02, monkeygirl wrote:
In our dojo we do some knuckle pushups, but it's usually only adult blackbelts. It's not a good idea for kids to do them because their wrists aren't strong enough.

What ? That doesn't make sense.. The reason you do knuckle push ups is to make your wrists stronger, therefore a harder punch, etc.

That's like saying you shouldn't spar because you can't fight well enough yet.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does give the correct posture for some punches but to be honest its better to train that simply by practicing the punch over and over, works faster than the pushups too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: