Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We moved to a new dojo a month or so ago, and had a nice raised wood training floor installed. Since the move I've noticed some slight stiffness developing in my hands, and suspect it's from doing knuckle pushups on the bare wood (our old dojo had carpet over concrete). I know from reading comments in other posts that several people here are not fans of knuckle pushups, I was hoping to get some more in depth opinions on this. We also do makiwara training for conditioning. I love my dojo and do want to harden & strengthen my body including hands & wrists, but then again I'm a programmer and do not want arthritis interfering with my early retirement plans. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knuckle push-ups serve to strengthen the wrists for punching, building calluses, and teaching the body to overcome pain.
You may want to check these out http://www.dmartstores.com/irknucir2lbp.html
which might provide a little more padding for you.
"Back in the day" ... knuckle push ups were performed on gravel and concrete .... that wood floor doesn't sound so bad now does it?

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do knuckle pushups the knuckles 'spread' under the pressure on them, tiny microfractures open up and allow fluid in which solidifies, helping the joint to harden. Very good for punching, but a very bad idea for wanting to type a lot, especially if you do a lot of them. Doesn't affect everyone, but its not really worth the risk to be honest.

Whether the wood floor sounds bad or not, you're still causing injury. Pain is bad. Injury is bad. Avoid them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a trade-off, I guess. I want the added strength and hardened joints, but not the long term risk. It's not the pain while doing the pushups that bothers me, it's the fear of what my dexterity will be like 20 years from now. Thanks for your responses!

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its ironic isnt it
knuckle press ups are supposted to be safer than the normal ones as medical officials say that the normal press ups damage your wrist, and so doing knuckle press ups instead is ideal
but in the end you find that knucle press ups do some damage as well

they are designed to toughen up your wrist and make your knuckles more redifined, if you really want to make sure your doing the properly, make sure you are using the first two knuckles only

10 and half stone 5,9 height
eyyyyyyy, fair enough lads :wink:

[ This Message was edited by: ad on 2002-06-04 20:53 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must take extra caution when performing pushups on the fists. They will give you caloses on your hands which are good for toughening your hands but can cause problems in your knuckles. If you feel too much pain then just switch back to normal pushups. We do them on our fists then jump to our chickenwrists so you should be fine.

Pete

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also find it helpful to add hand exercises to your routine. Most can be done just sitting while watching tv. Open the hands and spread the fingers - then make a fist. Get a hand squeezer. Or try the bao ding iron balls I think they are really great.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, how bad is it ?!
I did knuckle pushups on a basketball court and my knuckles hurt for a week.. I, being a wannabe programmer can understand your concern, I'd probably stick to palm and do knuckle elsewhere if I still want to strengthen my wrist.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken wrists, huh? That's where you curl your hands under and put your weight on the top of your wrist? Yeah, that's a bit beyond my capabilities right now, whenever Sensei starts doing those I get into the position, say "oh good god ow" and go back to knuckles.

It's not bad at all, but I've only been training for a year (and only a month on the wood). I don't think you can develop something like arthritis in that short a period of time, presumably the damage builds up over years and years. I think I'll probably do the young & stupid thing now, maybe when I hit thirty or something my common sense will kick back in.

I do have a hand squeezer thing, when it comes to long boring teleconferences it's the most useful desk toy I could own. I have a set of iron balls too (not so good on the phone).

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, I personally do not prefer to do Kunckle ups either. I can work with bruises and broken toes but I need my hands. What do you think about doing fingertip push ups? They are tough but they hurt me a lot less.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: