Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Krav Maga or Wing Chun for self defense?
Krav Maga
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
Wing Chun
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 20

Anzie
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shootfigthing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Krav Maga or Wing Chun? Reply with quote

I haven't found other posts equal to this one, so here goes;
What is the differences between these two?
Anyone in your opinions that would be more realistic for modern self defence on the street?

Thanks!

Icetuete
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krav Maga is really good, but i dont know too much about Wing Chun so i wont participate in the poll.

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krav maga

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are self defense oriented systems.

I would Give the Advantage to KM as far as self defense for a Few reasons.

A) You become profficent In KM quicker than you would in WC. Some may ague but I belive it's pretty widely know KM is a system that is taught very quickly and effectivly.

B)I belive KM would be more likely to work under and Extremly Stressfull situation because It is based on more natural and instinctive movements and reactions.

There are a few other reasons but these are the two main ones are far as self defense is concerned.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, how good you get and how quickly it happens really does depend on how seriously you take your training.

at the end of the day if you only turn up to one lesson a week and don't train outside of that single lesson then don't expect to get good in ANY style.

i have seen people "practice" wing chun for years and still not have "good hands". but then i have also seen people who practice for two months who really can defend themselves.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Icetuete
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
at the end of the day if you only turn up to one lesson a week and don't train outside of that single lesson then don't expect to get good in ANY style.

thats enough to learn the basics, but after yellow belt (or whatever the first test may be) u really should to more.

but its also about training methods and/or instruction.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both rely on aggressive defence. I like KM more because it uses more "standard" techniques, so it is easier to mix with other arts like muay thai, jujutsu, kickboxing, karate, judo, kali and so on. Wing chun has a very distinct style that is hard to mix with many arts.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the ground up wrote:
well, how good you get and how quickly it happens really does depend on how seriously you take your training.

i have seen people "practice" wing chun for years and still not have "good hands". but then i have also seen people who practice for two months who really can defend themselves.

Um...Yes thats True but that dosent have anything to do with the stlyles..What im Saying Is Devoting equal time and effort to the style and all things equal, KM will be picked up alot quicker.

Prodigal Son
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: wing chun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icetuete wrote:
Quote:

thats enough to learn the basics, but after yellow belt (or whatever the first test may be) u really should to more.

but its also about training methods and/or instruction.

Enough to learn the basics ? You are having a laugh.
Unless you WANT to train all the time, you are fooling yourself if you think you are going to learn anything but false confidence. Take up knitting or something less dangerous.

I am shocked at what some on this forum consider 'training'. Martial arts can not be learned in a three hour McDojo class once a week with no outside practice. And if your teacher can't spot such appaling lethargy in his students (and stick a foot up their as ses), then he's just as hopelessly McDojo as the student.

And if you can gain a 'belt' (whatever one of those may be worth) by training once a week, then surely you must look to the standards set by your martial art. Jeez - I was on 'probation' for a year with my teacher...

What a bunch of old ladies.

>>>*<<<

P.S. KM vs WC ? Who knows. None of you - unless you do both arts. This debate is conjecture based on small knowledge, anecdotal evidence and misunderstanding. So there. *flips the bird*

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh, a bit touchy today.

c'mon, you must understand tht a lot of the posters here are teens who want to say in some round about way that their art is the best and that they can whip your butt even though they've only learnt from books/websites/videos.

all we can do is tell them that there is more to martial arts than just copying the forms.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: