Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

krav maga or kung fu for self defense?
kung fu
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
krav maga
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
i can understand that KM could be very effective for specific situations.

the only problem i have now is what do you do if what really happens isn't exactly how you practiced for?

sorry if i sound like i'm picking on KM but i'm not.
i have a slight distrust for a lot of the "self defence" classes because i'm kinda worried that it might train bad habits into a lot of people.

teaching people to stomp on feet and jab eyes and hit groins is all well and good but we all know that the attacker isn't just going to stop attacking if you've hit him.

one thing that has always bugged me is that in the past, you had to be very dedicated and must train herd to master a martial art. after the very long period of time you would be able to defend yourself because you would've spent a very long training for any situation you can think of. for those you didn't think of, your many years of training would've made the moves/techinques part of you and you should be able to work new solutions.

in modern times, a lot of people just want results without the work. they want to say "i know kung fu" or go around saying that they take serious self defence lessons (once a week, on fridays for two hours...)

granted that the new ways do work in their applications and within their parameters but it just isn't the same as the old ways.

i know i've gone off a bit and to be honest i've forgotten my point...

i guess i'm trying to say that you cannot really compare the two because they are two very different things. it is like comparing an oil painting to a photograph (maybe a bad analogy).

both can get beautiful results but are completely different.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm..yea...Basically the movements and techniques are designed to be taught quickly and effectivly...some stlyes are not...diffrent people want diffrent things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: