Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

krav maga or kung fu for self defense?
kung fu
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
krav maga
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

robodjs
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: kung fu and krav maga Reply with quote

this is not about which art is better because when i tried to start a thread on that it was shut down. i would just like to compare the two for self defense, weapons, grappling, standup etc.

paolung
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is kind of a loaded question... both can be used for self defense. neither is 'better'.

an accomplished gungfu practicioner will be able to fight just as an accomplished krav maga practioner will.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It think Krav Maga teaches more realistic and practical self defense, and does it alot quicker.

WC-Strayder
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Location: Great is the one who knows, but even greater is the one who knows where to ask....
Styles: Wing Chun. Since 01

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krav Maga is OK, but you have a big well of really good self-defence styles in Kung Fu to!. I personally know that Wing Chun is a very effective self-defence system, and easy to learn too!. But like some of you said, both can be used..

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krav Maga Is know for being based in Instinctive reactions so it will work under stress...I think The biggest advantage Of KM woudl show when someone was put under stress or scared for their life...alot of techniques work in a school..alot less work in the heat of the moment.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kung Fu is too broad. What kind of Kung Fu? There are alot of Kung Fu Styles out there ranging from Sport, to Exercise, to Combat. So I say Kung Fu.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

CrazyAZNRocker
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Punching and Kicking, Elbows and Knees, Clinch and Grapple.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say Kung Fu, simply because of longivity and health. Taking harsh martial arts stlyes like krav maga are hard on the body. Though when someone is young, its ok since the body "seems" to heal itself. However you unfortunalty find out that later on in life, old injuries begin to haunt you. Take Mohamed Ali for example. He took alot of hits, and always seemed to come out just fine, however you see now that he is hit with parkinsons. And then there is Mick Foley, a professional wrestler, if you ever see his matches even though the matches are choreographed, the slams and hits are real. No matter what anyone says, being slamed from the top of a cage is gonna hurt alot. Well, good ole mick has a hard time even getting up in the morning. And take football players. They take some very nasty hits, and in there young years they seem to bounce right up. However some end up with really horrible back problems.

Now with kung fu, I have seen some very healthy "old" folk. And though they are old, they can defend themselves, I should know I sparred one. I would like it to be 70 years of age, and beable to hop, seriously hop, out of bed.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the infamous old age excuse...Didint he ask whitch is better for self defense..so what defines that should be the last 20 years of your life? not the first 50?

I have seen 70 years old KM guys throw down in full contact sparring and do it very well.

paolung
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, but did they do KM for 50+ years? considering it is a relatively new system, i doubt it. i have personally seen gungfu stylists who have trained over 60+ years and some of them look BETTER with age. it's scary.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with CrazyRocker on this one. I wanna be really, really "old" and still be kicking some butt !!!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: