Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Martial Art Terminology In Class? Reply with quote

Do you or the CI use the correct terminology in class?

Or is the MA terminology a combination of English and Asian?

Or is all the terminology used for the MA class in English?

Do MMA classes use solely English terminology?

Do BJJ use Japanese terminology or is it all in Portuguese?

Personally I like using the Asian terminology of the style, due to that it helps me to understand native Asian speakers when they are explaining techniques on video.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most martial arts systems taught originate in cultures where the language is different. Keeping the original terminology maintains continuity between generations of students and teachers. Naturally, every instructor will use their own native language to some extent when explaining or describing the system they teach. The terms used always depends on whom one learns from and how close this person is to the system's culture of origin.

Okinawan karate tends to be taught with Japanese or even Okinawan terminology. Especially when the Instructor has close connections to representatives who teach and train in Okinawa. It is also the case with anyone who learned from any of the first non-native students of Okinawan systems.

Personally, all except one instructor was not Okinawan so Japanese and native Okinawan terminology is used exclusively. Also thanks to personal interest and years spent in immersion, fluent communication in the instructor's native language is a habit. Of course nobody is expected to learn a new language to train, but it does help understand some of the context of what one is practising.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the kyokushin dojo I was training in they used Japanese terminology & I used to struggle understanding it & was in a mess specially with combinations & that was the only time that the instructor might explain it to me in English !

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seeing that our Soke and Dai-Soke were born and raised and trained in Okinawa, and that they're mastery of the English language was deplorable, our classes with either of them was also a lesson on Okinawa/Japanese; terminologies were in their language, yet, spiced up with them trying to speak English.

A lot of our terminologies were posted on the East wall of the Hombu. That, I believe was for our benefit as a reference. But man oh man, there was a lot of grunting, mumbling, and finger and Shinai pointing!! "Go here!"..."There!"..."NO!!", and so on and so forth!!

As far as my dojo's, both English and Okinawa/Japanese was on the menu as far as terminologies and the like.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in our classes we use a combination of English and Japanese. But depends on the skill level and knowledge of the students.

We use the english terminology for our white belts but introduce the japanese terms to them after several lessons. In comparison for our 1st Kyu's we use predominantly japanese terms.

When we are in our advanced seniors class we only use japanese terms. As it is expected that we know what it is.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We mostly use Korean terminology. At the very least we name techniques in Korean and use Korean for basic instruction.

The great advantage is that this terminology is the international standard that everyone will learn so you then have the opportunity to train with people who might not speak your native language. I've trained with plenty of Europeans and Asians who didn't speak English yet understanding what they wanted me to do wasn't a problem.

I also think it brings you closer to the roots and culture of a style, if that kind of thing is important to you. The original language can also tell you more about what you are doing and why you are doing it as sometimes things can be lost in translation.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over my many years in the MA, I've heard it said that we, MAists, use the language of the culture that founded the style, whether it be Japanese or Okinawan or Korean or whatever else it might be, to only show off, and to make ourselves seem more important!!

Fair enough!! This might be warranted!!

Is it, iyho??

As far as myself, well, I just don't subscribe to blanket accusations!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Over my many years in the MA, I've heard it said that we, MAists, use the language of the culture that founded the style, whether it be Japanese or Okinawan or Korean or whatever else it might be, to only show off, and to make ourselves seem more important!!

Fair enough!! This might be warranted!!

Is it, iyho??

As far as myself, well, I just don't subscribe to blanket accusations!!

Don't see or recognize the showing off aspects of communicating in foreign languages.

With Chinese the language is confusing enough for them let alone everyone else; due to the large amount of dialects they have.

Cantonese is the usual dialect of Wing Chun when most Chinese use Mandarin. This adds to the confusion of Chinese martial art terminology.

Wing Chun terminology for example is vast and can be complicated with mixed Chinese dialects and the close relation Wing Chun has with the White Crane style.

The written language of Chinese has been standardized so that everyone have a way of communicating no matter the dialect.

As the Japanese written language has been based on Chinese written characters, it is possible for the Chinese to read Japanese but not vise versa.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both dojos I've trained at full-time use Japanese terminology for techniques and etiquette (starting and ending class, etc.). Not that it bothered me, but I didn't care much for it my first few weeks. I didn't think there was much point.

I quickly came to appreciate it. I guess it makes it officially karate or something, I don't know. To be honest, I don't think I'd like training without it. Maybe it would be too informal or too sport-like, like wrestling was.

Both styles I've trained have Tadashi Nakamura in the lineage. My first organization's founder was Nakamura's student in Nakamura's Kyokushin days, and followed him to Seido before leaving (Seido was still bare knuckle at this point). My current system is Seido Juku. Nakamura was born and raised in Japan before being sent to the US to spread Kyokushin.

I can relate to sensei8 here. Nakamura has been here going on 50 years, and he's still difficult to understand at times. Everyone however understands when he asks us to do a technique. Sometimes the pronunciation is a bit different from a native Japanese speaker than it is from my American CI, but it's not that hard to figure it out.

Last summer was Seido's 40th anniversary. There was a week-long event with seminars, a tournament, etc. Part of it was teachers from different countries teaching a class as they normally would in their native language. There were classes in Italian, Polish, Japanese, Hebrew and a few others. Seeing parts of the Hebrew and Polish class, it was obvious that the students understood enough of what was being said despite not knowing the teachers' native languages. Japanese terms became a universal language.

Along the same lines as terminology, but not exactly, I'm a big fan of the strict/militaristic/not sure what to call it traditions. Using titles, responding with an "Osu Sensei" or the like is something that's really grown on me. It wouldn't be the same without it. I think the "Yes, Sir/Ma'am" that TKD typically does is better for people, especially kids, in our culture, but for some reason I like the Japanese way I've always done in karate better.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teaching style just depends on the intructor and is not really tied to whether or not one uses a certain set of terminology. The instructors from my experience used Japanese and Okinawan exclusively and the atmosphere in the dojo was very informal.

The militaristic or strict style, which is often associated with martial arts is probably because a great portion of instructors have some kind of military background. They are only reproducing the way they learned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: