Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Davison
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Hakko Denshinryu Jujutsu Kodokan Judo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyS wrote:
Pressure points don't do anything - at least in a grappling situation. Techniques that rely on pain should not be relied on. You'd be better off spending your time learning proper escapes than thinking that grabbing my leg and squeezing will save you from my armbar.
i disagree Johnnys,if i were on my back and a person were in the mount position on top of me,all it would take is for me touch a person in one spot(even if the attack was a front lapel choke or a series of strikes)and they would fly right off me,i know this from fighting a varity of different fighters,from stand up to ground fighting.pressure points are extremely effective but should not be used unless in combat situations.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davison wrote,
"i disagree Johnnys,if i were on my back and a person were in the mount position on top of me,all it would take is for me touch a person in one spot(even if the attack was a front lapel choke or a series of strikes)and they would fly right off me,i know this from fighting a varity of different fighters,from stand up to ground fighting.pressure points are extremely effective but should not be used unless in combat situations."

And I say rubbish ! Have you tried this on anyone (not from your school) ? Have you tried this on a BJJ fighter ? Better yet, since you are so confident, why don't you ask them to start punching you while you're mounted and see how effective your "touch" is. Oh, and how convenient that you can only use your deadly powers in a "combat situation". Saves you the trouble of actually proving it eh ?
I've had a lot of different people try their pressure points on me while grappling, and as I said they are little more than a slight annoyance. Certainly not enough to make me stop punching someone in the head or finishing them.
Let me put this in a nice way. Certain techniques will work in a class environment. For example, the instructor applies a technique to the student and the student, thinking his instructor infallible, thinks "ow" and taps. This technique will not work on the street against someone who is motivated, full of adrenaline and wants to hurt you. Nor will this work on someone who has high levels of endorphins and doesn't feel pain, or people used to being squashed and pinched i.e. a bjj or judoka.

Davison
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive trained for 12yrs Johnny and have fought over thirty fights in the streets as well as in the dojo,ive trained and fought world champions and yes i have fought many bjj fighters.first,i did not mean to affend you by my statment.some people are more subseptable to certain pressure points than others.i did not mention anything about death powers,obovoiously you are not familiar with kyushojitsu.i hope you have heard of earl montigue(considering he is from australia)or george dillman,if you have not,than you should do a little research on them.so ya,ive been proving it for years now.just because someone is all pumped up,does not mean that they are not subseptable to pressure points ,i can strike a person extremely fast in a street fight no matter how fast they are coming at me and when i strike a pressure point,9 times out of ten,it ends the fight.you must be the most unique person on the planet because it was proven long ago that everyone has (pressure points).

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding credentials, I've been training for 17 years, worked as a bouncer for 7 years and was in a whole bunch of fights myself. You say you'e fought world champions and BJJer's - Who have you fought and in what events ?

Sorry, I still don't believe you regarding pressure points. I have no respect at all for Erle Montague, and little more for George Dillman - I can knock out people standing still too.
As far as pain compliance - again it shouldn't be something someone should rely on. A friend of mine that I used to train with in Okinawan Goju-ryu had very high endorphin levels and wouldn't feel pain (he'd break a finger and not realise it for a couple of days), and so pressure points just didn't work on him. Again, I've had people try and dig their fingers into me to work pressure points and all it did was make it easier to finish them because they were concentrating on pressure points and not on escaping.

So, what and where is the pressure point that I can activate from under the mount - I mean, why learn BJJ at all if I can do pressure points right ?

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davison wrote:
have fought over thirty fights in the streets as well as in the dojo

Sorry for straying from the topic, but why do you keep bringing this up? By bringing up the number of fights you've been are you attempting to gain credibility, or are you just bragging?

Davison
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither,im simply trying to make sure that johnny understands that im not just talking out of my *.i really dont care what anyone says,i was just trying to inform him that i have used pressure point control very successfully in my experiences.i think you are taking this why to seriously.lighten up a allittle.open your mind up some!

Davison
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylesanand johnny,i think u should come to america sometime,maybe then you will stop being so close minded,until then you can continue to start arguements on the net as for me,i will continue to offer my advice and my opinion respectfully.

Davison
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither,im simply trying to make sure that johnny understands that im not just talking out of my *.i really dont care what anyone says,i was just trying to inform him that i have used pressure point control very successfully in my experiences.i think you are taking this why to seriously.lighten up a allittle.open your mind up some!

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying they won't work at all. What I am saying is that pressure points won't work on someone who knows what they are doing e.g. an experienced BJJer or world champion in anything. Oh, you forgot to mention these world champions that you have fought that will back up your claims of pressure points working.

Pressure points *might* work when you're playing around with someone and they don't want to get hurt - but in a fight I don't believe so. Most of the times I've been hit in fights I've hardly felt anything - this includes being sucker-punched, elbowed in the face, headbutted etc. So I don't see how someone "touching" me is going to make me "fly right off" my opponent from the mount.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've stated before, most arts don't use them exclusively. They are "usually" used to aid in making a slight adjustment to the angle of a joint, as to have proper locking/breaking position, or to help loosen a hold in order to escape, as JohnnyS suggested. This thread was not meant to argue their effectiveness, only so I could find the name of the JJ art they were employed in.

I know very few that use them exclusively.

Thank you again TJS.

This thread is closed.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: