Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Need help finding a thread Reply with quote

O.k. guys, I need your help. I'm not sure if the thread was in this forum, comparative, or combative. However, it was concerning JJ, so I'll ask for help here.

I was reading it about a week ago, and forgot the style of JJ it referenced, and I had wanted to look up more info on it. The post in question was one of our members talking about how he takes BJJ, and either his father of grandfather has taken a TJJ for years. This style of TJJ takes a looong time to become proficient, and everytime the BJJer tried to put his family member is a hold, the elder would activate a couple pressure points to loosen the hold.

One of my favorite parts of my art is the use of pressure points as an addition to my other techniques, and I wanted to read up more on the form of JJ.

Spark anyone's memory?

devilthaiboxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: thai boxing ,shukokai karate ,okinawan kobudo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was it atemi ryu ju jitsu i havn't read the thread but atemi is vital point striking . hope this helps

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible, but mine is a Korean art. So, anything Japanese sounds alike to me.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoshin-Ryu Ju Jitsu

Quote:
Perhaps one of the most dangerous martial arts ever encountered is also one of the forefathers: Yoshin-Ryu Ju Jitsu. YRJJ is the original form of Japanese Ju Jitsu, and it is the basis for all other Japanese martial arts, from Karate to Kendo to Judo. Yoshin-Ryu, along with many other forms of Japanese Ju Jitsu, teaches: Submission fighting, grappling, clinching, throws and takedowns, striking (knees, elbows, kicks and punches), weapons use, pressure point manipulation, anatomical understanding, and, more controversially, "dim mak", or death touches. All of this is learned, and it takes many, many years for someone to achieve the purple belt (equiv. to black in other arts), often 12-15 years.

My father is a fourth degree Purple in Yoshin-Ryu, and I have dabbled myself in many arts and trained with him. I am now studying Muay Thai and Brazilian Ju Jitsu under a Romero Cavalcanti certified Brown Belt...and it doesn't do jack against my 64 year old father. I am 22. And it is interesting to note how he fights, when we fool around and such. Attempting armbars on someone who knows Pressure points and can toy with your sciatic nerve (and does!) gives you, as a grappler, a new appreciation for the depth of ground combat. and I have learned countless alternate ways to apply ankle locks, heel hooks, and triangles that leave me in awe of their effectiveness. All from the supposedly "obsolete" style of JJJ.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect.

Thank you.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm highly sceptical of this. I've had people try and do pressure points on me and it's little more than annoying.
My instructor wrestled with Vince Morris, the British Shotokan karateka who is into pressure points in a big way and does seminars. He couldn't do anything against my instructor. Do not think you're going to defeat BJJ with pressure points.

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do not think you're going to defeat BJJ with pressure points.

As this is how the original poster described the techniques of his Dad's JJ style:

Quote:
Submission fighting, grappling, clinching, throws and takedowns, striking (knees, elbows, kicks and punches), weapons use, pressure point manipulation, anatomical understanding, and, more controversially, "dim mak", or death touches.

I think they would tend to agree with you; it doesn't seem to rely soley on pressure points.

-Lao-Tse

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor do we. They are only a tool to aid in loosening a grip, aiding in joint angle set up, etc.

I have had them performed correctly on me, and they can cause an entire limb to go limp.

1ONEfighting
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: A pinch of this, a dash of that.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear the death touch!

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure points don't do anything - at least in a grappling situation. Techniques that rely on pain should not be relied on. You'd be better off spending your time learning proper escapes than thinking that grabbing my leg and squeezing will save you from my armbar.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: