Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Squawman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Opening School Reply with quote

Nobody really needs any certification to be an instructor in the martial arts. Anybody can buy a uniform and belt from a catalog, invent their own style and teach. But the question is, how much credibility do they have. If you are a blue belt and I walk into your school with no expirence then I probably wouldn't have any problem learning from you. But if I came into your school and had trained before I would probably ask myself "what the hell does a blue belt know". Especially in TKD because it is so popular around the world. My advice to you is to find another place to train, gain alot of expirence and get your black belt. Then find some small place (like a church basement or rec center) and start to build a student base.

Azmyth
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ITF Tae Kwon Do, Jiu Jitsu, American Kenpo, Modern Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: I think u misunderstood Reply with quote

I meant after I get my black belt. I wouldn't dare teach now.. I don't know nearly enough. I have thought about once I get my black belt, teaching out of a church until I reach 2nd dan.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in another post, try to reach 4th dan first. Not that I wouldn't learn from a 1st dan (I'm only a red belt) but all my (master/school owner) instructors have been 4th dan and above.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh... friggin' belts.

Intro

Squawman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: opening school Reply with quote

Ugh... friggin' belts

That's how I feel sometimes. I'm a 3rd degree in TKD and really don't want to test any more but to certify black belts through the WTF I need a 4th dan. I also started to get into Jiu-Jitsu in the last year which has no forms or goofy crap like that. Pretty much you get your next belt if you can roll with that rank and show you are equal in the ability. Like I've said before, a rank is worthless if you can't back it up.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not only about belts. I am a nidan, but I have 26 years under my belt. I have been fighting other peoples black belts since I was a kid and winning. I think that 90% of schools hand out rank way too fast. We all know that it is mostly marketing and money, but how proud should you be of getting a black belt if kids can get them?

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to wait until you get a 4th Dan to teach? Dang...nobody told me that!!! I'm in trouble here! This January I'll have 30 years in the arts, and I've been teaching since September of 1978...and I haven't reached 4th Dan yet! ARGH! Guess I'd better contact those couple of hundred people I've taught and awarded belts to and tell them their no good!

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen first gup/kyu conduct a better class than some 4th dan.

I recently had a guy mention to me that he didn't want to train under anything less than a 5th Dan, because he was a 4th. What if there was a 4th, 3rd, or even, god forbid, a lowly nidan out there who could show him things? It would completely crush his universe. If a 2nd dan can teach him things, maybe it means his 4th dan is worthless, etc.

Train with someone who has something to teach you. Paradoxically, you may not be able to figure out if it was worthwhile until you've trained under someone else.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that same regard tommarker, I've taught ranks considerably higher than myself quite a few things. For example, I have taekwondo friends ranging from 3rd Dans to 6th, scattered around the NorthWest that have invited me to hold seminars for their classes. The ones I'm talking about had, and taught, no techniques against grabs, grappling or defenses against weapons, and had no weapons training at all.

Hey! I just noticed...I'm not a green belt any longer...I got my purple!!! Dang, that's just about as fast as some schools I know! lol Is this forum a belt factory/McDojo?

Last edited by Shorinryu Sensei on Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Kalkinodo, San Chin Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a first dan, and I know that I can teach effectively. Although, I do have over 14 years in the arts. It all depends on experience.
"There is no spoon."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: