Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today...

Stairmaster:

Minutes = 30
Floors = 71
Avg. HR = 166
Calories = 353

Treadmill:

Minutes = 20
Laps = 3.2
Avg. HR = 155
Avg. spd = 2.9
Avg. Incln. = 6.1
Calories = 175

Free Weights:

Minutes = 20
Worked > Legs, arms, and back
Calories = I've NO IDEA; I've not figured out how to calculate that. I did 3 sets of 10 of whatever I did with a 15 second pause between sets. Weights worked were anywhere from 20 lbs up to 800lbs.

Weight = Did not step onto scale; will do that weekly, and not daily.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a call today from my Cardiologist to inform me about the results of the ECHO Sonogram I had this past Monday!! According to Dr. Marlos Fernandes...

My heart has returned to regular sinus rhythm, and my Afib is GONE!! How? I've no idea!! My Cardiologist will speak with me on the details at my follow-up in January. Meanwhile, I continue to still take Eliquis, blood thinner, until the doctor says otherwise.

This is great news!!

This also means that I continue to improve my quality of life: losing the weight, watching my diet, and so on and so forth!! On and forward to 215lbs!!

**If I had a 'back flip' emoticon, I'd use it about right now!!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work and great news!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic news, Bob! Awesome!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bulltahr and Brain!!

I use to be stuck at 300lbs...No more...now I'm stuck at 290lbs. Give me a break!!

My routine, for the most part hasn't changed, but what I'm doing in addition is adding time spent on the different cardio machines...adding a touch more weights on my free weight routine...swimming extra laps each Saturday.

Still watching my diet...watching my portion sizes...getting healthy foods/ingredients...I'm crossing all of the 't's' and dotting all of the 'I's', and upping my workouts.

Things like that, yet, here I am...290lbs...still!!

I've a theory, as to why...

What I believe might be happening is that my body has to balance itself for the moment before weight can be loss. One pound of fat is much larger than one pound of muscle! Therefore, as my muscles grow through my strength training, my fat will diminish. Whereas before, my fat dominated my body; surrounded my muscles, therefore, my muscles we being smothered by my fat. Now, I'm on a course of reversing that trend by having my muscle mass surround my body fat. As my muscle mass increases, my body fat decreases, and in that, weight is loss.

I'm not a fan of plateaus...never have...never will; they frustrate me to no end, and I've no tolerances and/or patience with them.

Do any of you concur with my theory?

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Got a call today from my Cardiologist to inform me about the results of the ECHO Sonogram I had this past Monday!! According to Dr. Marlos Fernandes...

My heart has returned to regular sinus rhythm, and my Afib is GONE!! How? I've no idea!! My Cardiologist will speak with me on the details at my follow-up in January. Meanwhile, I continue to still take Eliquis, blood thinner, until the doctor says otherwise.

This is great news!!

This also means that I continue to improve my quality of life: losing the weight, watching my diet, and so on and so forth!! On and forward to 215lbs!!

**If I had a 'back flip' emoticon, I'd use it about right now!!

That's great news, Bob! Absolutely fantastic! I'd hazard a guess that it's gone because you've done all that is necessary to rid yourself of it!

As for the weight, don't stress on it, it'll drop in it's own time as long as you continue to do what you've been doing, which I'm sure you will.

Mo.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news sensei8 , keep up with the healthy lifestyle & training 👍🏻

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today...

20 minutes Stairmaster [Level 3]
20 minutes Tredmill
10 minutes Stationary Bike
10 minutes Rowing
5 minutes Stairmaster [Level 4]

Total calorie burn = 605

Weekly weigh in = 285lbs
Overall weight loss = 41lbs

Tomorrow...

1 hour of swimming

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Today...

20 minutes Stairmaster [Level 3]
20 minutes Tredmill
10 minutes Stationary Bike
10 minutes Rowing
5 minutes Stairmaster [Level 4]

Total calorie burn = 605

Weekly weigh in = 285lbs
Overall weight loss = 41lbs

Tomorrow...

1 hour of swimming

Good on you sensei8, so happy for your achievement

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustrating!!

That's the word that first comes to my mind, as of late, when I think about the up and down plateau I find myself in quite often during this journey of renewing myself.

Weekly weigh in: 286lbs

That's far below where I feel that I should be...280lbs. Just as my 290lbs plateau was that dreading up and down cycle, never thinking that I'd ever break that 290lbs barrier. Felt that same plateau when I struggled to get to 300lbs.

Plateau's are the bane of my existence while on this journey!!

What must I do!!??

This week started me at 280lbs!!

Not trying to beat this horse to death, however, as far as my gym routine is concerned, I've upped my cardio from a daily calorie burn of 600 to 640. That consists of...

Extra time on the:

* StairMaster
* Treadmill
* Stationary Bike
* Rowing Machine

Free Weight Routine is as usual!! Swimming is as usual!! Nothing extra done, but nothing taken away!!

I'm thinking that I might be suffering from retaining too much water!! But how much is too much?? I average about 50 ounces of water intake each and everyday!! Matter of fact, my GP Doctor has me on Water Pills!!

Right now I'm thinking about not even eating even though I know that that's the dumbest thing I can do, but, when people are feeling overly frustrated they seem to tend to do frustrated things like...starving themselves to reach weight loss goals.

I'm at the gym 2.5-3.0 hours a day...6 days a week!! I push myself, but obviously I'm not pushing myself hard enough. How much is to much when one is 59 years old and has bum knees and occasional hip pains and pinched nerves in both my neck and lower back; in short, falling apart. But these limitations are holding me back in many certain things at the gym.

I'm thinking about adding Bicycling, but how often and how long is something I've not figured out as of yet. Therefore, my bike sits motionless!!

I'm also thinking about adding Battle Rope Cardio to my Cardio Routine, but again, how often and how beneficial has me stumped!!

In short, I've got to stop with the excuses and get off my butt and be much more proactive.

My losing weight is a MUST because my life depends on it!! Besides the aesthetics of losing weight to look fit, there's the quality of life. I've lost weight, yes, but I feel that I'm behind on just how much weight I should've lost since this journey began on October 4, 2016, when I once weighed 326lbs...and today...286lbs, a mere minuscule 40lbs loss. That 286lbs is 4lbs more than where I started this week with, when I weighed 282lbs.

Yes, I know that it's both impractical and impossible for me, or for anyone, to lose 6lbs by this Tuesday...or is it!?

Why the urgency??

I've a doctor appointment this Tuesday at 8am, just 5 hours before I fly back to our Hombu in California. I've not seen my GP Doctor since this journey began back in October 2016, and I want, no, I need him to be proud of my seriousness about my losing the weight to the goal of 215lbs by October 4, 2017!!

Mindset!!

To me, 286lbs is way to close to 290lbs...which is to close to 300lbs...I MUST be 280lbs by this Tuesday morning!!!!!!!

I'm a trainer friend here in Houston, TX, and he says it's possible for me to lose 6 pounds in 2 days. How?? He suggests that I run 3 miles a day and restrict my calorie intake. However, because of my physical limitations, and he doesn't think I can run, or that I shouldn't run because running is a high impact routine, and my lower back might not act favorable after a 3 mile run.

He don't know me that well!!

Put an obstacle in front of me and tell me I can't, well, that's a challenge and I rise above challenges. HOWEVER, I do realize my age and physical limitations, and I surely don't want to have a heart attack while running. Even though, I work really hard at the gym, and I often wonder if I push myself to hard, and right into an awaiting heart attack there.

Sorry for the rant!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 3 of 21
Jump to: