Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-13 12:59, Prodigy-Child wrote:
a buddy of mine trained at a muay thai place and the taekwon-do dojang down the street challeged them.........needless to say that the taekwon-do guys got their * handed to them!

Are we comparing arts again, prodigy-child? That's a big no-no!

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL that's some funny sh*t. I suppose that's why my instructor keeps a shotgun in the closet just in case it is off-hours and he is alone in the office and 50 big hairy cheap-a$$-jitsu guys bust thru the front door demanding that we hand over the school sign or sumthin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not comparing arts i just said that the thai fighters beat the taekwon-do stylists thats all!

Shaolin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-13 13:15, three60roundhouse wrote:
Are we comparing arts again, prodigy-child? That's a big no-no!

Big no no? I've seen tons of threads here that compare styles. In any case comparing styles is nothing more that sharing opinions and sharing information, which is good for all arts.

Jim

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace dear teacher, dear friend, dear brother, and dear father: Moy Yat Sifu

[ This Message was edited by: Shaolin on 2002-03-13 21:34 ]

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing styles and discussing the differences between the ideologies, methodology of teaching and instruction, and variations in body mechanics for various techniques, etc. is not wrong. However, that is different from just an all-out brawl over which art beats the crap out of which art. This is not the sissy way out when I say that we should probably refrain from this area of conversation (i.e. arguing over whether or not a competent muay thai, bjj, karate, tkd, wing chun, whatever guy will be able to cripple another guy of a different style on the street). IMHO You will never be able to prove that one style is superior to the other, simply because (1) statistics have not shown total domination of one art over the other (excluding muay thai vs. sport tkd, but come on here, this is sport we are talking about) and (2) the way a certain style's superiority should be measured is subject to many different opinions (is it the most practical, is it the most beneficial for those in need of cardiovascular health improvement, is it the best if you want to increase your fast-twitch muscles, is it best if you want to increase your flexibility, is it best if you want to improve your quality of breathing? etc. etc. etc.) Obviously though, most of the time these arguments gear towards the "as long as I am the last one standing" result.

Ironic that so many people (NOT ALL)who advocate practical street-fighting techniques, macho-istic attitudes, and arguments insisting on the superiority of their style, are ones who support traditional martial arts (which, as far as I know for the most part, do not include the promotion of bragging or beating down the opponent as the main intent of study). It is often the sport-oriented styles (which these people are against) which seem to stress winning winning winning and competition.

My humble opinion: Martial arts is supposed to be, ultimately, something that holds special between you and yourself, and the true purpose does not involve you and another adversary (obviously many people who think the contrary, but that's okay). The fact that so many of us have decided to begin the journey of uniting our physical and mental halves is excellent and refreshing in itself, don't poison or taint your devotion by boasting or displaying hostile expression that you can layeth the smackdown on anybody with your sacred and super ultimate powerful art.

Some people study m/a so they can become better people and become more complete and fulfilled in many ways. Some do it because it is fun. Some do it out of pure interest. Others do it so that they can seriously fu*k someone over in any alley brawl or confrontational situation. Some do it for a combination of the above-mentioned reasons. It's that simple.

Want to know if a man's ideologies are correct? See if he is happy every morning as he arises from bed.

[ This Message was edited by: spinninggumby on 2002-03-13 22:07 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ryukyu1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Spin...that was inspirational....very well put.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I was reading an article in Martial Arts and Combat Sports magazine about "the weapons man" I am ashamed that I cannot bring his name to my mind but I remember that he used to do it.

Harpoon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of stupid.. if these are real fights than all the fancy forms and blocking will be forgotten and it will turn into a slugfest where size and agression are the only things that count.

But I sorta think it would be cool if schools of various arts sent their best to compete in a NHB tourament.. ala Bloodsport

tigerstyle18
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my school has received challenges but they were never honorable. The challenges were issued by students of other schools and not from the instructors. My chief instructor didn't even acknowledge the challenge really. He was confident in his success.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly oppose the idea of challenging another school. The urge and intention of challenging another institution stems from none other than pride, insecurity, and thirst for victory and domination and/or a need for self-reassurance.

I can accept that people practice martial arts for fun and pleasure. I can accept that people practice for health or personal interest. I can accept that people practice so that they can defend themselves and their loved ones. But no matter how open-minded I am, I cannot accept the fact that people continue to practice in order to prove their superiority to others. We all have a little bit of that inside us but challenging another school is going too far, friendly or not.

That is also the difference between sport competition and a challenge. Sport is supposed to be a game, and to me it is supposed to be fun. Often times these challenges are not meant to be games.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: