Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Sparring Tips Reply with quote

When I spar, I tend to back up when the opponent attacks. I realize I do the same techniques so they know what's coming. I'm a red belt, and I sometimes feel bad for getting defeated by lower ranks. I know I shouldn't. Sometimes people tell me my technique is great, but I need to use it in sparring. I try my best in class and I'm great with everything else, but when the instructor says it's time for sparring, I freeze a little inside. Is this normal that I'm afraid of sparring? I don't even think that's the right word, but I want to try different techniques to help me improve my sparring. I have a tournament coming up in May, and I feel I can ask for help here. We're doing point sparring in the tournament, if it matters.

Thank you!

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to dislike sparring as well. I can't stand to lose at anything, and I always had a fear of losing. Getting hit never bothered me. I was always afraid of losing OR not performing up to my standards. But after a few sessions, I started to approach sparring as a learning tool. I try advanced techniques, and I use moves from our katas. If I lose in points, it doesn't matter. If I land san advanced technique that I've been working on, it is a good session!

I'm the kind of person that will give up a couple of shots to be able to land a "kill shot". So when I'm point sparring, I really don't feel bad if I lose in points. Example- the other day, I was sparring a Nidan who is a lot bigger than me. He's pretty quick, but I'm quicker. But he's powerful, so getting inside on him is tricky- if he hits you with a sidekick, you feel it! So I was waiting for his attack in my orthodox stance. He started in on me, and I immediately jumped forward with a flying knee to his solar plexus. Now, he landed a reverse punch to my chest a split second before my technique, but had this been a real world scenario, I'm pretty sure I would have dropped him with my knee while his punch may have just stung me a little. So he won the point. But in my mind, I won that battle!

If you're afraid of the contact, remember- pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever!! If you're afraid of losing, change your approach to sparring and just realize that it's a learning tool. If your Sensei sees you performing applications from Kanku Dai (or another advanced kata from your style), he'll see that you are retaining what he's teaching you, and you'll gain a fair amount of respect for it regardless of how many points you may give up!
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, I use to hate sparring because I hate being hit. I complained about it often to my Sensei, and he told me....

"Learn how to deflect [block] or don't be there. Crying about it isn't
effective!". As the years passed, I decided that he was right. Now, I love to spar with anyone from any style from any rank...I GET A TURN!! Heheheheheeheheheheheheheheehee...

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the same when I started sparring (most folk probably are - nobody likes getting hit) but the more you do it, the more you get used to it, especially if you are doing conditioning work. I like to move in at pace with a junzuki, the opponent tends not expect it, so more often than not it scores. If you're constantly backing away your opponent will sense fear and constantly move in on you, so stand your ground, switch stances and try to get in on their blind side. It's just trial and error until you can find what works for you. Hope you sort it out soon.

M.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
If you're afraid of the contact, remember- pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever!! If you're afraid of losing, change your approach to sparring and just realize that it's a learning tool.

well said .... totally agree

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here used to be afraid of it but now after 2 months of training and only 3 sparring sessions, I can say this is my best part of the class although I am still not good at it and got many punches and kicks everywhere but I like it

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found this article about Sparring tips ... i liked it and hopefully you can find some good advice in it

http://www.mademan.com/mm/10-martial-arts-sparring-tips.html

TheGrim123321
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: (Kata Sei Do Karate [Kyokushin/MMA]) (Kung Fu [Shaolin/Wing Chun])

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you spar your opponent shouldn't be going full super sayin on you. Sparring is there to practice technique if you need to go slower just say to your partner "Hey can we go a bit slower im working on applying technique(Bunkai)". Your instructor and your partner will understand. Trust me for 2 months I was beaten the destroyed in sparring. Then I asked to go slower 4 months later and I'm top of the class.
~Grim

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only way, imho, to learn how to properly react during sparring so that you're not backing up so much is to stand your ground...Intercept your opponents attacks by learning how to transition to either side and deliver your counter FASTER/BEFORE your opponent can.

Each time you find yourself backing up...stop...TRY IT AGAIN!! The more you don't back up, the more you won't; muscle memory! The only time one should backup, imho, is when it's part of your plan...

Study your opponent
Study yourself
Make a plan
CARRY IT OUT!!

Backing up can suck your opponent into your trap; that's when it's advantageous for you to do so.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is ok that you are scared of it. Everyone is scared of it when we are learning.

What types of kumite do you practice at your school?

During kumite try out different techniques. Kumite takes practice so don't feel bad.

Don't think of kumite as winning and losing. Learn from every bout that you do.

When fighting lower ranked students that is always a good time to practice techniques.

At my dojo we do these types of kumite:
1) Awase Kumite
- Soft and slow sparring
- Contact isn't heavy
- Practice as many techniques as you know
- Helps students get used to sparring and practice techniques with an opponent

2) Point Sparring
- Tournament style
- controlled techniques
- stronger techniques than awase
- certain techniques forbidden
- Thigh kicks
- Groin Kicks
- takedowns/throws allowed as long as controlled

3) 'Light' Sparring
- Same as Point
- All techniques allowed
- contact at 85%
- Groundwork allowed

4) Jyu Kumite (heavy kumite)
- contact @ 95%
- Groundwork permitted
- all techniques allowed
- Similar to Kyokushin karate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: